BIG trouble downloading to gps

jonb adventure

i have a garmin map 176 with a new 128mb data card i am having problems down loading maps to the card from my pc, i am using mapsource uk road and recreation.
everything seems to go ok the garmin is set to host ect and i can sellect map areas from the mapsource cb.
Firstly my pc tells me it is starting to gather map information but then freezes at around 7%
my computer is talking to my gps and vise versa so i know there isnt a connection fault.
is the garmin mapsource software compatable with the 176 ?
or am i doing something wrong
regards jon B

Copy from Garmin.com website:

MapSource™ is compatible with all Garmin GPS systems except the GPS 100 family of products (GPS 100AVD, GPS 100MRN, GPS 100MIL, SRVY II) and panel mount aviation units. Trip and waypoint planning is possible for all other units; however, the map transfer feature is only compatible with the following Garmin GPS units: GPS III+, 12MAP, NavTalk, GPSMAP 162, GPSMAP 168 Sounder, StreetPilot, StreetPilot ColorMap, StreetPilot III, GPS V, GPSMAP 295, eMap, eTrex Vista, and eTrex Legend, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 176, GPSMAP 176C, GPSMAP 182, GPSMAP 188 Sounder, GPSMAP 232, GPSMAP 238 Sounder, GPSMAP 2006, and GPSMAP 2010.

They seem to be recommending the Metro Guide - are you using that or the City Select software ? This could be a problem....

METRO GUIDE

I'VE TRIED METRO GUIDE AND ROADS AND RECREATION NIETHER WORKS WHAT DO YOU THINK COULD THERE BE AN UN-LOCK CODE NEEDED OR SOMETHING DOWN THAT ROAD( EXCUSE THE PUN)

UNLOCKED MAPS??

mIKE AS YOU SEE FROM MY POST I PUT THIS QUESTION TO YOU ALL.
I DONT KNOW IF THE MAPS ARE UNLOCKED!!! MAYBE YOU CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A COMMENT TO MAKE OLD SPORT
REGARDS JON B:clap

SOFTWARE VERSION

I NOTICE LOOKING ON MY DATE CARD THAT A MINIMUM VERSION 4.09 IS REQUIRED BEFORE USING DATA CARTRIDGES IN GARMIN GPS
I'VE LOOKE'D ON THE DOWN LOAD PAGES AT GARMIN AND THERE DOES'NT SEEN TO BE MANY UNITS THAT SUPPORT THIS LEVEL.
MY GPS MAP 176 HAS AN UP TO DATE VERSION 2.08 NO MORE NO LESS
COMMENT ON THAT MY INTELLIGENT ONES.

Jon,

I don't know anything about Garmin 176. My only experience is with SPIII. Garmin market their software by giving away the CDs and then charging for the unlock codes to fully access the information on them - this information may, in turn, only be used with a specific GPS unit. If you haven't gone through the procedure to unlock the data, then you won't be able to download it. The paperwork you should've got when you bought the software should give you directions on how to unlock. If you have any queries, Email Garmin (their update page is here ) I've found them to be very helpful. Hope this is of some help.

MikeO:)

ps Shouting doesn't help:p

If your data card is asking for minimum of v4.09, that's probably the MapSource software which is loaded into your PC. Update that to v4.11 from here.

While your at it, you might as well download the latest firmware for you 176 which is v2.08 (or if you could try their ßeta v3.01 which was released yesterday) also from here.

However, your real problem is that the 176 doesn't work with Road and Recreation UK/Europe. Try MetroGuide Europe.

Greg

problem sorted

thanks for all your feed back i have been on to the garmin site downloaded the software update for mapsource to v 4.11 and BINGO all maps download to my garmin 176 yes all maps
regards jon B

And ...

...while we're all here - 'MetroGuide' and 'Roads & Recreation' don't need unlocking (unlike City Navigator, City Select and the fishing/marine stuff). Just fire up Mapsource and it's all available.

The latest MetroGuide (v 5.0) is sometimes available on eBay at a decent price (it's where I bought mine) - just make sure you get the single disk containing all of Europe. The older single country disks are now obsolete - don't buy them.

By the way, with the new version of MetroGuideyou can use the autorouting feature on the PC and download the route to your unit. Handy!

If in doubt, check the Garmin website - font of all knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom