Should my spark plugs be rusty?

HeatedGrips

Reaction score
I only ask because I've just got round to taking them out for the first time on my 2003 twin spark. It's been dealer serviced (lazy me) for 18,000 miles but has just developed a misfire.

With my limited mechanical knowledge I thought the first thing to check would be the plugs, but I was surprised to see that the top plug on each cyliner (the only one if you have a single-spark bike) was badly corroded on the outside.

Is this usual?

Attachments

• spark plugs.jpg
    spark plugs.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 237
Is this usual?
It is. If you look closely(with a torch) you will see they are open to the elements. If you can, it is best to blow an airline down the plug recess before removing the plugs to clear any debris that has collected around them :thumb

Twin spark, misfire, the plug caps.

As cookie says, they have a coil built in, and they're notorious for giving misfires and bad running.

If your near to me, drop in and you can try my spare caps, before you payout lots of hard earned cash.

;)

Steptoe said:
Twin spark, misfire, the plug caps.

As cookie says, they have a coil built in, and they're notorious for giving misfires and bad running.

If your near to me, drop in and you can try my spare caps, before you payout lots of hard earned cash.

;)

Mmm, I didn't realise the HT leads had coils on the end until now. Having done a search and read the other stuff on them I think you might be right Steptoe. The misfire suddenly appeared when I started the bike one morning after washing it and putting in the garage a couple of days later.

Do you sell the things?

The rust is nothing uncommon on a year round bike,especially if the plugs are sitting low in a recess which traps salty water.

HeatedGrips said:
Mmm, I didn't realise the HT leads had coils on the end until now.

They are utterly useless - once the caps have broken down, nothing willget them to work properly again - I don't sell them ( £54 each) , but try Sharon ( PL 2 and half) she'll sort you out quickly :thumb

But you might only need one ;)

Back
Top Bottom