Not selecting gears

Dick Dastardly

Reaction score
Just b4 Christmas, my 40,000 miler 1100 gs started to misbehave.

On occasion it started not to want to select a gear. There wasn't a particular gear it didn't fancy, just wouldn't pick the gear i wanted it to, when i wanted it to.

If i'm in 2nd and wanting to change up to 3rd....no, then after much stamping....yes, or likewise changing down. As i said no certain gear was involved all the time.

What do you clever types reckon ?? :nenau

Hello Dick have you checked the linkage it can get seized up there's a little clip holding it on take it off and give it a clean and grease :thumb

Dick Dastardly said:

On occasion it started not to want to select a gear. There wasn't a particular gear it didn't fancy, just wouldn't pick the gear i wanted it to, when i wanted it to.

If i'm in 2nd and wanting to change up to 3rd....no, then after much stamping....yes, or likewise changing down. As i said no certain gear was involved all the time.

make sure the gear lever returns to central position after eash gear is selected if it dosent remove it from its pivot remove plastic bush from lever clean and grease and reasemble everything.i removed foot rest hanger to make it easy.now feels like new g box .

Dick Dastardly said:

My previous GS 02 plate used to do this during cold weather (sub 5c), however I generally do real quick shifts. The dealer said that this is known feature and I just had to pull in the clutch lever a little slower when the weather was cold. Which did the trick, do not have this problem with my current GSA however.

Thank you gents........

Said footrest hanger removed and gear linkage and lever all stripped, cleaned and greased. Rides like it's got a new 'box.... :thumb :thumb :thumb

Whilst i was mucky and could be bothered, i stripped and fettled all 3 brake calipers. Oh well, it is spring.....nearly :mmmm

Thanks again

Dick Dastardly said:
Thank you gents........

Whilst i was mucky and could be bothered, i stripped and fettled all 3 brake calipers. Oh well, it is spring.....nearly :mmmm

Thanks again

Good advice they are very prone to seize at this time of the year! :)

more likely a funnel web colony in that hairy seat of yours :D

Back
Top Bottom