Check shocks

JJ Crafford

This is where I'd really appreciate my fellow GSers wealth of technical experience and knowledge. having always bought new bikes I never wondered about shocks. My current w-reg 1150 has a weird weaving feeling below 30mph and when deccelarating on corners. How do I check them?

Thanks in anticipation.
JJ

JJ Crafford said:
This is where I'd really appreciate my fellow GSers wealth of technical experience and knowledge. having always bought new bikes I never wondered about shocks. My current w-reg 1150 has a weird weaving feeling below 30mph and when deccelarating on corners. How do I check them?

Thanks in anticipation.
JJ

sounds like a tyre problem, or less likely, tight head races.

Shocks

cookie said:
sounds like a tyre problem, or less likely, tight head races.

I agree, yes definately start with the basics first

Tyre pressures Front & Back

Sounds more like the swinging arm to bevel box bearings. These failing are a very common problem on paralever airheads and oilheads. Grab the rear wheel at the top and bottom and see if theres any play by rocking the wheel sideways. Just over £30 a pair if you fit them yourself or just over a hundred quid if somebody else fits them. My 03 GSA's were knackered at 4k.

Has it got a new(ish) Metzeler Tourance front tyre? Mine did that with a new tyre along with many others on this site....

Are you running Tourances?

Mine did this, and dispite my doubts, they bloke at the tyre shop was right - it went away again. He reckons it's very common with this tyre.

In his favour, he has been round the world on an Africa Twin, so may not be part of the "they all do that Sir" brigade of liars...

seriously though...

As well as tyre pressure, check the profile. I do a lot of M way miles and as they start to square off there is a distinct feeling of 'falling off the edge' when cornering and also an increased tendency to tram line. (The cornering is weirdest when it's a good front and square back)

Being a tight ar5e I tend to ride round this until the centre strip is completey bald - but when the new tyres eventually go on they feel soooo good!

Cheers Jim

Burfcontrol said:
Being a tight ar5e I tend to ride round this until the centre strip is completey bald - but when the new tyres eventually go on they feel soooo good!
Cheers Jim

Hopefully that was tongue in cheek and not factual,as quite apart from the legal aspect,only a wanger would ride a bike on tyres in that condition......

Burfcontrol said:
yesch, but in a schtrate line I'm on schlix, plenty of tread on the schidess for cornesch

:D :D

On that subject,an Uncle of mine made this classic comment about replacing tyres due to tread wear.....

'But surely ,when the grooves have disappeared,you have pure rubber in contact with the road,so the tyre is at maximum traction.....'

:D :D :D

He had a point........ ;)

Sea Lion said:
Has it got a new(ish) Metzeler Tourance front tyre? Mine did that with a new tyre along with many others on this site....

Indeed. Newish tourances on when I got the bike. I had tourances on my 12gs twice before without the weaving, but on dry summer roads grip might improve the results. Guess I'll give it a little more time before pestering the guys at SLM to sort it out.

Thanks for all the feedback. :thumb

JJ

JJ Crafford said:
Indeed. Newish tourances on when I got the bike. I had tourances on my 12gs twice before without the weaving, but on dry summer roads grip might improve the results. Guess I'll give it a little more time before pestering the guys at SLM to sort it out.

Thanks for all the feedback. :thumb

JJ
Seems to occur at random with front Tourances. Last one was fine. This latest one felt like the wheel was buckled. Starting to ease off now after 2K.

Loads of other threads about this if your still not sure

Back
Top Bottom