Fast-but-scenic transit of Switzerland

GlynnJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I plan to travel to Venice in July. The obvious route takes me through Switzerland. I need to pass thru CH in a day but would rather not use the motorway any more than I have to. Anyone know if it is possible to do the journey between Mulhouse and Como comfortably in a day while following the twisty bits?

GJ

Absolutely. I have done this route manytimes as i work in Bergamo Milan and ride the bike over every spring and back in the Autumn. The motorway around Luzern isn't too boring. The normal roads are OK too but slow as they are really hot on speeding on these. If you stay on the motorway, once past luzern you can get off on the the A road that is beside it and head for the St Gottard pass. You will see signs for the Furka pass also. You can even choose the old pass or the new one. Both good. Once over and descending towards Italy you can stay on the A road which follows the motorway for as long as you like, all the way to Chiassso ( Como border) or if you are short on time hope back on the motorway, which has some good sweeping bends on it. But be carefull in the wet as they put metal expansion strips right across the road which are like ice when wet.
Are you planning to head towards Milan the take the A4 east towards Venice? If so be very careful on the motorway from Como until you get past Bergamo, They have some very sharp bends in the tunnels and elswhere that you wouldn't find in any other country in europe. the A4 from Milan to Bergamo has been reported as the most deadliest road in Europe :eek:
Sorry for not being very specific about road numbers etc but I haven't got a map in front of me. If its unclear I'll get the map out and make it a bit more scientific. Maybe this is why I get lost so much... :rolleyes:
:beer:

Cheers, bingbong, that's exactly what I needed. :thumb

GJ

Back
Top Bottom