Camping in the Alps.. whats the costs?

rocks

Reaction score
Hi guys, could anyone with a bit of experience of camping in the french/swiss alps help me with some guideline costs please?

And is is wise to book in advance during may/june/july or are there plenty of places.. ?

Cheers

John

18 months ago with showers galore (timer system) I never spent more than £8/10.
Never booked and always found a spot for a 2 person dome tent

There is a campsite in Andermatt - it was pretty much outside my hotel window - and in the first week of July, there were only 2 tents in the whole field, so I doubt you have to book, though not sure what it is like once the school hols start. Not sure about costs though. I had considered camping but on the two days it rained hard, I looked out on those tents from my warm room, watching them boiling a pot of water in the small porch, and was pleased I had paid the £40 a night half board and a bath. I figured that the price of a campsite pitch and a meal out/breakfast was not too far off £40 anyhow - but I was only there for 4 nights.

You should be fine not booking unless August.

I have enjoyed camping in France past 23 years, Most would be under €10 p.p. and many have swimming pools and good showers. Some have restaurants, washing machines etc.

I go for 4+ star sites, difference in cost doesn't justify the cheeper ones.

Usual applies, look out for the german cars - they don't stay in crap sites.

It is not just the savings that count, waking up smelling the grass (!) and looking out over the view counts for more. Plus that testosterone buzz of being a real biker sleeping out.

Problem can be choice of site near enough to walk to town for food and wine and not so close that it risks over attention by yoofs on mopeds.

Not had problems myself and to date have had nil stolen (gonna regret that comment n'est pas?)

Enjoy

Thanks..

Thanks guys.. I am hoping to get a week or more in the alps.. :D

Are there any good camp site directories etc? Or is it just a case of looking for signs or asking at the local tourist info place?

Cheers

John

Camping in France

If you have some idea where you may be going you will usually find a web site of the local tourist office - 'office de tourisme' - or 'syndicat d'initiative' - and they will have a list of sites. They are generally efficient and controlled by the local authority - the 'Mairie' If you arrive in a town look for the tourist office or the Mairie. If the weather is bad don't hesitate to look for a hotel - they are very much cheaper than the UK and usually on industrial estates near a town. Don't leave it too late in the evening during summer months - they often fill up by about 8 pm. You can get lists of these too...'formule1'; 'mister bed', 'nuit d'hotel' , première classe',etc. (Campanile, Ibis, we consider pricey but again cheap by UK standards;)
Don't do as I have done and kept on riding until it is too dark to find anything and finish up with coffee stops and riding through the night......just stupid ...and you have to keep stopping to wipe the bugs off your visor.

One good tip for camping in France is to look put for the Municipal campsite there is one in nearly every town I believe that they are either owned or run by the French town council so the prices are fixed and they always seem to be well looked after

Here is a link to one that I stayed in last year I even got a discount for being on a Bike :D

http://www.campingguillestre.com/

For Switzerland, Eigernordwand at Grindelwald. Cheap, great town, site, facilities and views. At over 4000 feet the site is situated beneath the north face of the Eiger. :thumb

yd0ghi.jpg

My suggestion is to not waist you time on Frenche Alps but go to Dolomiti in Italy. To me the best mountain scenaries in Europe, fantastic roads, full of motorcyclists and GSes.

For the best campsite in the French Alps, go to Barcellonette. Take the road at the east end of the town that heads up to the ski resorts of La Sauze and Super Sauze. About a half klick up on the right is a fantastic site. Good showers, lovely green grass to pitch on, panoramic mountain vistas, nice and quiet (though requires a bit of a walk into town), and the town is quite historic with a pedestrianised centre and loads of cafe's/restaurants. In the summer you get live shows in the town square... brilliant's all i can say!
The best bit is the access to loads of mountain passes on tarmac and for some of the best off road passes in France. Ian B and i had a fantastic day out taking in the Col du Papaillon which starts just up the road at Jausiers!

Bateman said:
There is a campsite in Andermatt - it was pretty much outside my hotel window - and in the first week of July, there were only 2 tents in the whole field, so I doubt you have to book, though not sure what it is like once the school hols start. Not sure about costs though. I had considered camping but on the two days it rained hard, I looked out on those tents from my warm room, watching them boiling a pot of water in the small porch, and was pleased I had paid the £40 a night half board and a bath. I figured that the price of a campsite pitch and a meal out/breakfast was not too far off £40 anyhow - but I was only there for 4 nights.

Me and some mates stayed there, you won't be bothered and facilities are good. Food around that area expensive though.

Back
Top Bottom