Pac-Safe

gazza

Reaction score
Having read numerous accounts of people having their gear stolen of the backs of bikes, I found this in my local Quatermasters store Pac-Safe I have the medium backpacker which is fully adjustable and will hold virtually any bag or bags upto 85L. Cracking bit of kit but not cheap at £45 but then again how much is your gear worth. Usual disclaimer applies ie nothing to do with company shops etc.

Attachments

• pacsafe1.jpg
    pacsafe1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 841
Looks good, but any problems with scratching the contents or the bike?
:beerjug:

Excellent idea

Saw one in Millets last year and nearly bought it. In the end I used a self-coiling cable (that I already had) and looped it through both helmets and a sleeve of each jacket. End was secured (?) by the helmet lock. Quick, easy to use and a bit lighter (and much cheaper) than the Pac Safe.

BawdyMonk said:
Looks good, but any problems with scratching the contents or the bike?
:beerjug:
'Fraid so, bought one off eBay lasy year for £25, same size as the one Gazza bought. So herewith the warning it WILL scratch your paintwork/rack if, like me you fail to put something between it and the bike, as I did down to Princetown last year, next timeI will remember!! :(

Like Paulf I use a plastic covered steel wire with a loop in both ends. Loop one end round the rear grab rail and secure the other to the front disc with a padlock/disklock. Somewher to secure your stuff to and a disk lock as well.
Mine is made by Kryptonite and I bought it from a Farming supplies shop (Burgesses in Chester) same quality as the ones you see in bike shops but very much cheeper. Ever tried to get money from a Farmer?

Pacsafe

Hi

If anyone interested, I have a pacsafe for sale on qxl.com item number 9031801. I personally use one for my oxford tailpack. I put a square of florist scrim underneath so get no damage to paintwork.

I find them good on journeys, as I tend to travel alone. (billy no mates lol) :p You can leave your bike with all your stuff on and its still there when you get back. Have also used pacsafe for 2 lids then lock to bike. ( put lids in bag first d'oh)

If anyone does want to bid on pacsafe, excellent. If you win, and mention Ukgser.com i'll pay the postage (uk only)

well have fun.

joe :)

I've got one of these. Same size as Gazza's. I think it as good idea if you're going somewhere dodgy and have to leave your bike with all your luggage on board.
I did find it tricky to get on and thread the locking cable through enough solid bits of the bike to make it safe. My only concern is that I use Ortlieb bags and thought a theif could slash your bags through the mesh and unload through the hole.

From the same manufacturer

I have bought a cable type lock. It is a cable with nylon bulbs which lock in a buckle and then is padlocked.

I use it for my Ortleib bag by running the cable through the handles and around the rack. Handy for running through the helmets as there is only one helmet lock and has served well so far.

If someone wants your gear they will take it regardless, so if it is "only" clothes in the Ortleib and the lock is a reasonalble deterrent, it is worthwhile.

From the pac-safe link above, in the accesories section, it is called the Wrapsafe.

I've seen the Pac-Safe at the local outdoors shop, but I have one minor remark. Using a Pac-Safe is like putting an ad on your luggage that it contains precious goods.
I considered using one on my Ortlieb Rack-Pack, but I think I'll get my local hardware store to make me a plastic covered steel cable with loops to put around the Rackpack's handles and attach the loop to the helmet holder. If someone carries the tools to cut through this cable to steal my bag, he'll probably carry the tools to deal with a PacSafe.
Only drawback is that someone with a sharp knife can open the bag and pillage... Still, if there's only a cable securing the bag to the motorcycle there's less of a signal to the Guild of Thieves.

Back
Top Bottom