Slieve Felim trackway and moto cross track

nud1e

Reaction score
Went exploring yesterday to find amotocross track that I'd been told of. Found it on top of Slieve Felim and it looks dodgy, somewhere that you could do damage to your bits and pieces.
There is a good piece of single carriage way part of the way to it, but once through the gate the surface crumbles to stone and loose gravel as it twists and turns climbs its way steeply up the hillside. That the easy way in and how I got there the last time on a Transalp. The track is there on a less steep slope.
The trackway continues up and across the hill before descending towards the back of Glenstal Abbey. This stretch through the bog is wet and muddy in places, then steep and loose with the track cut by water courses with lumps of rock and stone. Again it descended this way on a Transalp, so it should be accessible to a GS.
Yesterday, I did the run in the reverse direction without any major problems, just the odd moment, but this was on the XT225.
If any of you fancy a tour to this or other back ways and climbs in east Limerick, west Clare and parts of Tipperary, let me know and I'l meet up with you.

Nud1e, I wouldn't mind trying a bit of the (easier) sections of that :thumb

I'd also be interested in a 'South West' run, as mentioned, if you were going to organise one before the end of the summer. September would suit me best but let us know what suits you :thumb

Sugarcube said:
Me too! September doesn't suit me though. August is best.

Why, what ya doin' in Sept ;) ;) :D
August availability for me is really only the last w/e (maybe the 2nd last at a push ;) ) But of course it depends what suits Nud1e :)

W/end of either 19/20 or 26/27 August

Since I've no travelling to do to get where you want to go, I'd be available either weekend at present.
My preference would be weekend of 19/20 as I might want to pop in a late holiday but I've nothing booked at present.
Do ye want a Saturday or a Sunday ride?
All things can be accommodated just give me an agreed date.

Weekend of 19 / 20 is probably alright - wife & kids are flying off for a weeks hols sometime on the 19th :bounce1 :clap :bounce1 (oops, wrong smilies, sorry dear ;) ) but I'm not sure what time yet.

Depending on how it suits others, esp. Nud1e - maybe travel down Sat afternoon, bit of a run in the evening, Sunday run & back home :nenau

Whats close by, accommodation wise ?

SOUNDS LIKE FUN

ME THINKS ME MIGHT COME 2 :bow :bow
JOCKSER YOU CAN STAY AT MINE, NOT A PROB :dance
COST; M M M M M BRING YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE BISCUITS :thumb :thumb

drtod said:
ME THINKS ME MIGHT COME 2 :bow :bow
JOCKSER YOU CAN STAY AT MINE, NOT A PROB :dance
COST; M M M M M BRING YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE BISCUITS :thumb :thumb

Thanks m8 :cool:
However I might have Sugarcube in tow ;) We'll sort it out closer to the date :thumb

nud1e said:
Since I've no travelling to do to get where you want to go, I'd be available either weekend at present.
My preference would be weekend of 19/20 as I might want to pop in a late holiday but I've nothing booked at present.

suits for me as well...if ya don't mind... :thumb

mhomuc@mac.com said:
:eek:

got the message....thanks :D :upyou :D

Must say, your grasp of the smilies is impressive :D :D

You packed yet :nenau You're runnin' out of time lad & you don't want to be late for your first date with the new girly now, do you ;) ;)

HAILING nud1e

. . .W/E 19-20/08 sees the start of the International Vintage Rally running to 26/08. Are we ever goin' to get this combined trail run cranked up?

Jockser said:
Must say, your grasp of the smilies is impressive :D :D

You packed yet :nenau You're runnin' out of time lad & you don't want to be late for your first date with the new girly now, do you ;) ;)

its just my ironic humor....don't worry.... :cool:
so...yeah...its getting closer....friday is the big day....saturday our first date...really looking fwd to it...

PJ special

P.J. said:
. . .W/E 19-20/08 sees the start of the International Vintage Rally running to 26/08. Are we ever goin' to get this combined trail run cranked up?

for you, I'll do a prequel, pick a date before the 19/8 and we take a pioneering run out on the Serows, bring a pal or 2 if you want.
Can't be the 24/25 July but I'm free the rest of that week except for Achill - if I'm going. Free the following week, but that weekend is either the Boreen or the Riders. Back to work on 1/8 but I could take time off that week or the following. Done the entry into Keeper and the exit out and over the Silvermines, so I need to do the bit in the middle and try the climb to the top - rough track all the way, switchbacks up the slope.

nud1e said:
Would be very interested, get to meet more tossers :D w/end of the 19th/20th sounds good. :bounce1 Accommodation available in Tipp. for all who need it(cheap) ;)

Come one, come all

R2D2 said:
Would be very interested, get to meet more tossers :D w/end of the 19th/20th sounds good. :bounce1 Accommodation available in Tipp. for all who need it(cheap) ;)

I'll finalise the details after another run out to check a few access points, but for the Saturday, I'm thinking of loop out of Limerick into Clare, the Tipperary and Co Limerick, mostly minor roads and boreens, with the hillclimb or two.

nud1e said:
with the hillclimb or two.

Corkscrew ?? please, please :thumb

Startin' to sound good :bounce1 Are we settled on 19/20, Nud1e :nenau

Accommodation available in Tipp. for all who need it(cheap)

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, R2D2's SWMBO runs a crackin' little B&B in Holy Cross (& yes there is a connection - he's wifey's brothers second cousins uncles sons nephew twice removed by marriage,..or something like that ;) ;) ) & a definite possibility.

Maybe Nud1e could give us an idea of the proposed start point, when he's decided on a route, and we could see if its compatable with H.C. :cool: And R2D2 might let us know availability & cost for that w/e :clap

SEROWS COMBINE

. . pick a day then, in the range, Wed.26/07 - Wed.02/08 or Wed.09/08 - Sat.12/08

Jockser said:
Corkscrew ?? please, please :thumb

Startin' to sound good :bounce1 Are we settled on 19/20, Nud1e :nenau

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, R2D2's SWMBO runs a crackin' little B&B in Holy Cross (& yes there is a connection - he's wifey's brothers second cousins uncles sons nephew twice removed by marriage,..or something like that ;) ;) ) & a definite possibility.

Maybe Nud1e could give us an idea of the proposed start point, when he's decided on a route, and we could see if its compatable with H.C. :cool: And R2D2 might let us know availability & cost for that w/e :clap

Saturday's run would end close enough to Holycross as we'll be in the back country near Doon. Start would be 11h00 in O'Briensbridge on the Shannon, then through Clare toward Limerick before climbing up towards Gallow's Hill and the boreens towards Killaloe.

Back
Top Bottom