No Re-bound...?

Room 101

Reaction score
OK....Thinking of doing this...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81354

on Sunday...

However I noticed over the weekend that I have very little rebound on my standard 1150 suspension...

The adjuster is showing 4 bars but still feels very hard... I understand that you can also adust it with a screw driver at the base of the suspension... so I tried to turn it and its totally stuck... :confused:

So can I tap it with a hammer on the end of the screw driver to loosen it off... or does it sound like my suspension has had it... :nenau

hopefully not the latter... :(

Room 101 said:
OK....Thinking of doing this...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81354

on Sunday...

However I noticed over the weekend that I have very little rebound on my standard 1150 suspension...

The adjuster is showing 4 bars but still feels very hard... I understand that you can also adust it with a screw driver at the base of the suspension... so I tried to turn it and its totally stuck... :confused:

So can I tap it with a hammer on the end of the screw driver to loosen it off... or does it sound like my suspension has had it... :nenau

hopefully not the latter... :(

Hi

not wishing to state the obvious, but the screw at the bottom of the shock is fixed at one side, and should be an actual screw on the otherside :bounce1

Chris G said:
Hi

not wishing to state the obvious, but the screw at the bottom of the shock is fixed at one side, and should be an actual screw on the otherside :bounce1
Thanks Chris...

I attacked it from the left hand side... so I'll have another go from the other side tonight...

Cheers... Sue.... :thumb

Room 101 said:
The adjuster is showing 4 bars but still feels very hard...:(

Sue Sue Sue .... thats the fuel gauge you are looking at.
Wimmmmen .... I dont know !!

I tried adjusting the damping once, it turned the bike into a pogo stick :bounce1 I turned it back to its original position and haven't been near it since! :D

At the risk of stating the obvious and sounding like a pompous arse ...

There's 2 adjustments on the rear shock. The screw thingy on the bottom of the shock is damping. The hand wheel thingy bolted to the rear peg holder is pre-load.

Damping alters the speed at which your shock goes up and down - pogo stick vs rock hard. Adjust this to what feels right. Too bouncy, turn it up. Not bouncy enough, turn it down.

Pre-load does exactly what it says on the tin - pre-loads the spring and so alters ride height. If you adjust this using the rule that unladen, yuor bike should take up abut 10-15% of travel, and laden it shuld take up about 20-25% of travel, you can't go far wrong. It also means you're less likely to hit the stops either at the top or bottom.

Now, I know you knew that ...

Nin said:
Now, I know you knew that ...
Kind of... :eek:

But it didn't come across at all patronising.... thank you very much for ironing that out... :thumb

I can see I'm going to have lots of fun fiddling about with dampers and pre-laods... :bounce1

Thats if I manage to get the thing turning... I'll try the WD40 method before I take the hammer to it Taff... cheers for that... :thumb

Again, without trying to be patronising, if WD40 won't loosen the screw, avoid excessive force which will just chew the screw head up.

Try a product called 'Plusgas' if WD40 fails to shift it, its excellent stuff.

Once you get it moving, be sure to adjust it back and forth every few months to keep it from seizing again, the reset it to your preferred position. I always move my suspension adjusters on my bikes now and then to keep them free, otherwise they can end up seized solid through lack of use and dirt/moisture. The biggest killer for them is brake dust.

Phew!

Suspension tuning is a black art and I don't understand it - but I know it feels good when you get it right.

The screw thingy should be accessible from the same side as the hand wheel thingy - unless someone has taken the shock off and put it back on again 180 degrees out.

Good luck

Once in a while I wind the preload up & down, as I've heard of them siezing. Also do the same with the rebound, plus I put some ACF50 on the thread.

My pre-load adjuster stripped the threads. Had to have a whole new unit fitted including shock absorber..!......Turn it a bit from time to time is good advice IMHO.... ;)

Sue
The screw is on the left as stated and has got H & S in raised letters with a double headed arrow, When you get it free (WD, plusgas, tapping, praying and swearing) turn it all the way to Soft then back it off 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn,
And try the preload at just under halfway for solo riding.
This should give you a good start point and you can play from there.

By the way I've decided to forgive you for not using the tent space at the HU meet but It'll cost ya a pint. :p :p

Terry

Back
Top Bottom