pillion comfort - buffetingquery?

yanto

I'm still in 'saving up for the gs12' mode (it'll be a few months more yet i'm afraid - but hey I love the winter.......). I've tested a gs12 and it was great.

I intend to ride 90% of the time with a pillion. I'm approx 5'8 and my wife the same (and similar weight). I'd being using the low seat option on the gs12 as only got (relatively) short legs.

- How much higher will the pillion be too the rider given the assumption that the preload is adjusted for the pillion?
- How much buffeting is there at 70-80mph with the pillion?
thanks in advance :thumb

I ride regularly 2 up and my other half loves the GS with no complaints about buffeting at any speed.

I did add a back rest to my Hepco and Becker top box for her benefit but it would not be classed as essential.

Good luck with the saving mode, it's worth it. :thumb

You should have get the 1100 or 1150 then, vastly better pillion comfort IMO :rolleyes: :D

Fur the 1200 you need a comfty aftermarket seat first for yer pillion, then sort out the buffeting(?) :mmmm

I have had my GS since July 05 and do 95% of my ridding with my wife on the back. I am about 5ft 9 ins and my wife is about 1 inch shorter, I use the standard seat in the low position and have had no problems with this :thumb . My wife has never complained about bufferting problems and loves the GS. We have tried an RT, Pan and FJR as well as a Tiger and Sprint ST recently and she wouldn't swop from the GS for any of them, although I wouldn't mind the GS with the Tiger engine :clap . We had a Fazer 1000 before which we both loved and did 22K in 3 years on but the GS is the best bike I have had.

I'm 5'9" and ride with the seat in the high position and my partner is 5'3". I traded in my 1150 in July for a new 1200 and have since covered 2700 miles with the vast majority being 2 up. Sandra finds the back of the 1200 more comfortable and according to her:

1. Slightly narrower seat and lower pegs results in her legs being more relaxed
2. Firmer seat suits her bot better than the squashy 1150 item

However, there is a downside:

The 1150 grab rail is 100 times better than the side handle jobs on the 1200 which make her thumbs ache (?).

Turbulance has not been an issue for her on either bike.

Had done around 10,000 this year on the 1150 before it went again mainly 2 up so she she's had enough time to ponder the comfort factor.

HTH

Dave

ok guys - its sounding good! I'm trying an rt next weekend - solo - but whilst pretty sure it'll be a better pure tourer - I liked the gs so much not keen to go there unless I'm confident the pillion will be happy. Thanks good comments. :thumb

Tsiklonaut said:
You should have get the 1100 or 1150 then, vastly better pillion comfort IMO :rolleyes: :D

Fur the 1200 you need a comfty aftermarket seat first for yer pillion, then sort out the buffeting(?) :mmmm

Had a 1150 and the 1200 is better :D

Back
Top Bottom