Rear ESA failing, what are my options?

Scarfall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got a 2015 R1200GS TE with 67k miles. I went to get an oil change at BMW Maidenhead and mentioned that my ESA sometimes gets stuck in '2 helmets' preload mode, and when I cycle it back to '1 helmet', it doesn't smoothly lower to the right level. Instead after I start riding and hit a bump, there's a loud noise and the bike lowers to the correct preload level.

They mention that the ESA is failing and needs replacement at the cost of £1800. On the invoice they mention: "Rear esa dropping, check operation of esa preloadeternally, recommend replacement of rear spring str". When I asked what was wrong with it specifically they said "I don't know much about it, but it basically shouldn't drop like that", they also mentioned that soon enough I will experience a gradual loss of damping. At the moment the bike feels overdamped and any pothole or even cat's eyes make the suspension stiffen up for a split second, jolting over any bump on the road.

So, what are my options? I like having ESA and think that Dynamic ESA automatic preload adjustment is a sweet thing to have. I often ride with a pillion so electronic preload adjustment comes in very handy too.

-Is this something that the guy here that services ESA shocks can fix? Or are my shocks beyond saving at this point?
-What other options have I got? What shocks do you recommend that are compatible with ESA?
-How much do these options cost?

Shocks are only warranted to 30K ,

After that it's one of three ways

1) if bike has full dealer history , attempt a goodwill claim from the mother ship, .. It may reduce the price of a new one by a significant amount

2) purchase a new replacement - £1800 + fitting etc

3) If you feel confidant you can remove the shock yourself, and send it to Denz0 (Luke) for a refurb, i beleive he charges in the £250 region

However you will need to calibrate the unit when you get it back so will require a motoscan or GS911 & a scissor lift to get both wheels of the ground

Hi Santa,
1) I've got full dealer history. How do you suggest I go about this? Ring the local BMW dealership and simply ask if they can reduce the price?
2) Do you recommend a different shock, that is not BMW? Would that be substantially cheaper?
3) Is this something Luke can refurb? Or do my shocks sound like they are beyond saving? I don't know how to remove the shock myself, is this something a garage shop could help me with, along with the calibration?

Many thanks.

However you will need to calibrate the unit when you get it back so will require a motoscan or GS911 & a scissor lift to get both wheels of the ground

I had mine refurbed and just refitted it. Seems fine.
Although mine was just a new seal, so maybe they didn’t disturb the ESA.
I didn’t know it needed recalibrating. What’s the process?

I have a pair of ESA shocks taken off my GSA (recently bought from this forum) (https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/580174-2016-GSA-TE-for-sale) 4500 miles 2016, which have already been 'Denzo'd', when they were shortened from GSA length to GS length, which you may be interested in.

If your rear has gone and at 67k miles then I'm sure the front cannot be too good either.

I replaced them with some Touratech units, which I also bought off here. John.

I had mine refurbed and just refitted it. Seems fine.
Although mine was just a new seal, so maybe they didn’t disturb the ESA.
I didn’t know it needed recalibrating. What’s the process?

The recalibrating is easy, if you have a GS911.

Hi Santa,
1) I've got full dealer history. How do you suggest I go about this? Ring the local BMW dealership and simply ask if they can reduce the price?
2) Do you recommend a different shock, that is not BMW? Would that be substantially cheaper?
3) Is this something Luke can refurb? Or do my shocks sound like they are beyond saving? I don't know how to remove the shock myself, is this something a garage shop could help me with, along with the calibration?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately at 67K, the chances of a warranty goodwill gesture are slim at best, as yours have effectivly covered the life of 2 replacements

If your spanner handy , your best bet would be to either remove them yourself and send them off to Denz0

As to 3rd party replacements there are some out there, but the pricing appears to be on par with the mothership

A GS 911 costs about £300 so you;d need to factor that in

7 years old and 67,000 miles and you think you stand a chance with a warranty claim…….:D:D:D:D:D

Many thanks.

Only he can tell you. Drop him a line he will call you back. I am seeing him this Sat. Having front and rear suspension fitted by him, lowering the bike a bit. I don't have ESA;)

https://ttechsuspension.com/

Had my rear ESA re furbed at Firefox racing up the north. 47k miles 13 plate GS. Re gassed, new bits etc. About £280 all in. Posted unit to them and took 10 days. Did it as a precaution as mates rear ESA went on his GSA at 18,000 miles. on a 14 plate.

Would having bmw extended warranty help in this situation would they cover the rear shock that way 🤔

Would having bmw extended warranty help in this situation would they cover the rear shock that way ��

Depends

How far over 30k, what dealer history, etc

Depending on the above your dealer can put in a goodwill claim,

it can be anywhere from 50/50 to 80/20 @ 50/50 your looking around 1K contribution from yourself

And before anyone chips in with its only £x via xxx , yes it is.

But that dosent include the removal of the unit ( which if you feck up is your responsiblity) refitting (likewise ) & parts (new bolts) GS911 for recalibrating the unit

, and a lift to get both wheels off the ground

Conservatively your looking at £800 odd if you DIY, its only cheaper if you allready have the other bits

Ok thanks funny as I only got my 2014 gsa 6 months ago from a main dealer and shock feels soft. And sometimes with the side boxes on loaded up it will drop slightly after its turned off. Then when I get back on it rises mto the correct level again.. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom