Gearbox shaft end-float

Haytch

I intend to replace the bearings in my 94 r1100gs 'wearbox' ... :eek: ....would anyone be able to give me some info on checking the end-float on each of the three shafts.
In my Haynes manual it indicates the float as .05 - .15mm , where abouts is this measured? It appears to indicate that this is done without the cover is refitted. :confused:
Is it preferable to shim tight, loose or middle? :nenau

I want to make sure I have all the right equipment on hand before I start this job ..... I suppose once I get the box apart the answer to this query may be obvious...
all advice appreaciated. :bow
Cheers
H

Haytch said:
In my Haynes manual it indicates the float as .05 - .15mm , where abouts is this measured? It appears to indicate that this is done without the cover is refitted. :confused:
Is it preferable to shim tight, loose or middle? :nenau

H

They give you a min and a max measurement because the end float is adjusted with shims. So your limited by whatever sizes are suplied, unless youmakeyour own.
Rather than give a precise gap, in which case there might not be a shim that size.

You can machine the bearing ends out of a spare cover and measure the gaps, and hope the cover your'll be using wil be the same depth -
Or get an end plate made with the bearing space cut out, then measure the anount the bearing protrudes + the depth of the plate. Then measure the depth of the bearing recess in the end cover - measure the difference between the two, and shim it accordingly .

Here's a picture of an airhead box being shimmed

Steptoe ... :thumb thanks for that ....I dont have the steel plate like you show ..after some thought ...I have decided to try Plastigage to measure the float. I have never used it before, but hopefully it should be easy enough :confused:
When I stripped the box I found the input shaft front brg was noisy ... and the rear one sounded suspect so I have bought replacements ( BSL ... £20 for both SKF made parts). It was a surprise to find that the bearings fitted were ball not taper ... so it looks like someone has been in here before me, a big surprise condsidering the bikes relatively low miles (28000).
Also I discovered that the fith gear selector was showing some wear on its front facing flanks, this cost a bit more to replace ( £65 from BMW :eek: ). The remaining bearings dont appear to have any need for replacement so I intend to refit them all .. does this seem okay ??
One thing I did find was that my input shaft was not assembled as the drg shows here (
HTML:
www.xmission/~wendell/R1100GS/trans.html
... 'input shaft 93 and 94') ... it was arranged as in the Haynes manual page 2.63...that is... the rear bearing having no shims or washers in FRONT (on the engine side).... and the front bearing having a shimwasher behind the circlip. A shim pack was located between the rear bearing and the gearbox casing. Can anyone confirm which is correct ??? :mmmm I dont want to have to rip it all apart again :nono .
thanks

Back
Top Bottom