Cracking Tourance

Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone suffered from this before...... and before some wise guy say's it, no I don't mean little Red arrows sticking into your tyre :)

It's on the front of Vern's GS we noticed it after One or Two 'interesting' moments today. It's all the way round the off side of the tyre.

crack.jpg

Yes Paul, I had exactly the same cracks appearing on a front Tourance a couple of years ago. Trouble was I was in Prague at the time I noticed them. I got a new tyre PDQ!!

Bob

Judging by the wear they look pretty old. If they have lost the plasticiser in the rubber compound through being in lots of hot places then this might be expected. I'll check mine tonight!!

Yep, noticed mine doing this. Its done about 10,000 miles so will need replacing soon anyway. The last one did the same.

I'm not too concerned about it though. Should I be?

I had it with some Avons years ago. Tyres had only done about 3000 miles (they usualy did about 6000). I told Avon and they gave me a new tyre for half price, though they didn't say whether it was a safety risk. Well they wouldn't would they.

phone metzler direct techincal section is best people if poss or go to your tyre dealer who sold you the tyre show them the fault

what should happen is

1 Tyre dealer takes of tyre sends back to manufacture (as you the customer request this to happen)
2 offers you a repalcement tyre(you pay the full cost)
3 takes your name and address
4 wait for manufacture report 14 days
5 report comes back hopefuly amit tyre has a fault
6 gives you back in £ % of remaining tread left less 1mm

you should take note of tyre size dot code get defect number from tyre dealer who enters information into his defect book

:confused: you will be

Good luck it works for me

TERRY RYAN said:
phone metzler direct techincal section

6 gives you back in £ % of remaining tread left less 1mm

I'd want more than a pro-rata cost reduction because of the hassle it's caused. Not to mention the STRESS!!!:eek: :eek:

Now this is interesting, when i posted a thread on this very subject a while back, all i got back was derision for "riding like a woos" ......

My front Tourance started splitting at around 13k so i changed it prior to a trip to Switzerland. At around 6k this tyre too exhibited the same cracks only just beginning. After a call to Metzler the tyre was returned to them via my local tyre dealer and I'm still waiting for a result! That was six months ago. :mad:

I'm told that they know about this problem but have yet to hear it from the horses mouth.

As for a refund....... Ha!!

Back
Top Bottom