garmin - 2610 or quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
newbie numpty here again,

looking for sat nav for bike and car. totally new to GPS generally. Had a good look around on here and other sources and had pretty much settled on a 2610 with bike kit from GPSW but now losing will to live between mount kit and RAM mount, connection to bike aux sockets or hardwire in to battery and whether to go for a quest or 2610. Quest for sale on here and realise it's got its own power, but GPS is 2 b a pressie and SWMBO may not like me having a second hand unit as a gift, bringing me back to the gpsw 2610 kit. Aaaarrrggggghhhh:confused:

Sorry, realise I rambled in to a couple of different topics and got to give u chaps something to go at. For now, (1) what, in numpty language, are the main differences between the 2610 and the quest? and (2) on the 2610, will a nippy normans car fag lighter to bike fag lighter adapter gizmo be enough to have me powered up to use the 2610 stright from the off ? (3) what's the difference between the gpsw supplied ram mount and any other ram mount?

Sorry peeps, everyone else's posts seem much shorter - must have verbal diarrhoea. Again.........

The SP2610 is a vehicle only unit. Bigger screen. Unlimited memory for maps.

The Quest is a pocket & vehicle device. Small screen. Limited memory for maps.

They will both do the job on the bike or in the car. :thumb

2610 for me , but I no nothing I don't speeekidy the english:cool:

hadawayandsh.....ine me bike cannybagachoodagannindoontheBiggMarket what's wrang wi a tshort?

Sounds like crackin' English to me Oz. Not everyone has a fest named after em either.:beerjug:

cheers for that HMR - any ideas re my questions 2 and 3 (fag lighter and ram mount queries respectively) ?

thanks again,

2610 only for cars ??:nono

I'm assuming that you have a GS, so the 2610 is the logical choice, especially if you are planning on mounting the GPS above the instruments.

The Quest is brilliant for sports bikes, but is a bit of a compromise for the GS.

Get the 2610 - it will be a long time before you outgrow it:thumb

(have a trawl through the other threads on this section - there is a lot more information)

Al:D

(2) on the 2610, will a nippy normans car fag lighter to bike fag lighter adapter gizmo be enough to have me powered up to use the 2610 straight from the off ? (3) what's the difference between the gpsw supplied ram mount and any other ram mount?

cheers for further posts peeps - anyone any ideas on Qs 2 and 3 above? Q2 should read straight from the off ON THE BIKE. I realise (I think) that I can use it straight out of the box on 4 wheels.

Blackal - yes got an 03 1150 GS.

Nothing wrong with using a Quest on your GS. Obviously it depends on you but a Quest has an internal battery so you can play with it away from the bike / car. It also has a limited internal memory (no cards) but unless you're doing mega-mileage tours this shouldn't be an issue. The 2610 has a bigger screen with touch buttons but is heavier and needs a power source as it doesn't have an internal battery. It uses memory cards so buy yourself a 2Gb card from 7 Day Shop (cost you £17.99 or so) and you can get all of Europe on there.

I've had both and had them fitted to the bike with the Garmin mount. The power cable has a fuse in it and connects direct to the battery. Very easy to do and to use.

Quest 1 :thumb

Quest 2 :nono

2610 :thumb

The choice, as they say, is yours :)

is the quest water proof to 1 meter ?:eek

2 gig

Nothing wrong with using a Quest on your GS. Obviously it depends on you but a Quest has an internal battery so you can play with it away from the bike / car. It also has a limited internal memory (no cards) but unless you're doing mega-mileage tours this shouldn't be an issue. The 2610 has a bigger screen with touch buttons but is heavier and needs a power source as it doesn't have an internal battery. It uses memory cards so buy yourself a 2Gb card from 7 Day Shop (cost you £17.99 or so) and you can get all of Europe on there.

I've had both and had them fitted to the bike with the Garmin mount. The power cable has a fuse in it and connects direct to the battery. Very easy to do and to use.

Quest 1 :thumb

Quest 2 :nono

2610 :thumb

The choice, as they say, is yours :)

have you got a link for the 2 gig card cheers ozz:thumb

) on the 2610, will a nippy normans car fag lighter to bike fag lighter adapter gizmo be enough to have me powered up to use the 2610 stright from the off ? (3) what's the difference between the gpsw supplied ram mount and any other ram mount?

The 2610 comes with a car lighter power supply and speaker unit, so you can use it straightaway in the car.

The bike power lead just connects to the battery - how much easier do you want it :nenau

GARMIN 2610 12V LINK FROM BMW PLUGS INTO LOOM

MY R12OO GS ADVENTURE 56 REG HAS A PLUG IN TO THE LOOM, FOR THE GARMIN 2610 , NO FIDDLING ABOUT WITH THE BATTERY JUST PLUG IN AND YOUR WIRED, FROM BMW £50 , JUST PLUGS IN NEAR THE STOCK OF THE BIKE
:cool: :thumb

PS GOOD LINK FOR THE 2 GIG FLASH CARD FOR £ 18.99 WELL WORTH IT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom