I think I want one!!!

Muppet

Heat Pump Guru
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just a quick post to introduce meself as I've been browsing for a while now and thought it rude not too!
I'm going to be in the market for a GS, but not until next year to be honest, but there's no better place to get all the info than a board like this. Currently run a 99 VFR 800 (ok ok, I know it's a Jap bike, but it's probably the best of the bunch!).
I'm getting into more serious long distance touring and find the VFR a bit 'small' for 2 up & luggage. I've pretty much convinced myself at this stage that the GS is gonna be for me, but I won't be able to test one at a dealers till I get rid of a few points on my license. Currently on 13:eek: :eek: :confused: :D Unless anyone knows of a BMW dealer near Hampshire that might oblige?
Anyway, I hope to join the crowd at some stage, but I'll keep browsing around here if I may to pick up some good info.
:beer: :beer: :beer:
Cheers
Clive

Roger Walton said:
Thats dis-honest

And would, of course, invalidate the insurance.....Come to think of it, (step in anyone who knows better), it'd probably be sufficient to support a conviction for Unlawful Taking....

But I'm sure motomartin was just joking:D

Mike

Driving license

I did'nt think points were shown on the credit card licenses :confused:
I've had a few test rides at spc and the credit card licence
was all they wanted ;)

As Ron and the chaps are known to read this forum I think they'll be paying close attention to all 'Clives' from 'Hampshire' requesting test rides.

Probably best to wait for the all clear then when you ride one and want one you can get one?

Thanks for the replies guys, and I think I'll heed Judges words and wait until I lose a few points (next bloody August unfortunately:( )

I may still take a ride out to SPC and see if they want both parts of the licence. If they do I can always just sit on one and pretend.

Oh, by the way, it's nice to see another sensible forum where not everyones slagging each other off all the time ( such as Visordown). I'm a founder member of the Honda VFR club, (www.hondavfrclub.org/forum) and like you lot we have a very active social scene as well as useful and helpful info postings. Looks like I'm gonna feel very much at home here :D

If any of you are over at SPC's and you see a guy with a Spiderman helmet and a Yellow 99 VFR staring wistfully at a GS, or sitting on one making brmming noises, leave him be, he'll be fine by about this time next year:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard, Muppet. It's me, jimadam :cool:. I still don't regret parting with my '99 VFR. As much as I loved that bike, the GS handles better two-up and fully loaded with luggage, is more comfy, and more versatile. My advice is for you to look for a well kept late model 1100 -- or a used 1150 -- and save your dosh for the new R1200GS that'll be out in a year or so. My '99 1100 has been the DBs.

Another good website is www.advrider.com

twinrider said:
Welcome aboard, Muppet. It's me, jimadam :cool:. I still don't regret parting with my '99 VFR. As much as I loved that bike, the GS handles better two-up and fully loaded with luggage, is more comfy, and more versatile. My advice is for you to look for a well kept late model 1100 -- or a used 1150 -- and save your dosh for the new R1200GS that'll be out in a year or so. My '99 1100 has been the DBs.

Another good website is www.advrider.com

Hi Jim, wondered if you'd be a member of this site, now I know. I keep looking at the second hand ones and I keep wanting one, but I can't do anything till I've rebuilt and sold my old VFR, next year knowing me.
Had a look at the Advrider site, not signed up yet, maybe later. Good to hear from you, hope it's not too rainy over there at the moment;)

SPC??

Yeah, my mate bought an F650 from SPC in immaculate condition & all was well until the chain fell off at 10 000 miles. Upon further investigation it was discovered that the bike had covered 10 000 miles in the UK. They (SPC) forgot to tell him that the bike had covered a further 20 000 km (kilometers) in Germany prior to them (SPC) importing the bike into the UK and re-registering it.

The solution was to refund him all of his money in px for a R1100RS for an additional £1500-00 and give him a full rebate on the price he'd paid for the F650. In all, a good deal. 6 months free motoring. Easy hey!

But, the question is how many KILOMETERS has the R1100RS done prior to being registered in the UK (by SPC)?

I went to look at an R1150GS Adventure that a bloke from Sussex was selling. It was a 2002 model with 6000 miles on the clock. I saw the bike and the paint was peeling off the frame, rust all over etc.. A look at the plate showed "SPC" ! I phoned the seller and asked him about the mileage. He confirmed 6000 miles. I mentioned to him that it was quite possible that the bike had covered 6000 miles in the UK but what was the mileage in Europe before the bike was imported and converted to a MPH speedo. The phone went dead and I have not been able to contact him since.

The bike was subsequently advertised in the Biketrader paper for a few weeks. Someone, somewhere, whoever parted with hard earned cash, my thoughts are with you.

Buy legit, buy real gear.

Regards

Tok

Interesting info Tok, I'll bear that in mind when I start looking.

Following on from that, how easy is it to import from Europe, are there any significant savings to be had?

And, what to look for to make sure if I get a secondhand bike that it's not an import, or does it not matter apart from the mileage reading/km's conversion aspect. Are they all the same power and spec?

TIA

Clive

importing

importing from europe is quite easy but the savings are not what they would have been about a year ago when sterling was much stronger against the euro

Hi Muppet. A few of us have crossed over and seen the light. You will have more fun on a GS. God knows why but it's true. The VFR was perfection but you wait till you try a GS in the twisty stuff

Ben

Ben said:
Hi Muppet. A few of us have crossed over and seen the light. You will have more fun on a GS. God knows why but it's true. The VFR was perfection but you wait till you try a GS in the twisty stuff

Ben

Yo Ben, I guess Yani's on this site somewher as well. Spotted CRVFR so it looks like a mass defection:eek: Just kidding, I'm keeping one of m VFR's, but I want something to do some serious two up stuff and I reckon the GSS is gonna fit the bill, although I haven't actually ridden one yet! Hope to get a test ride later this year when things are a bit quieter.

Cheers
Clive

Hi clive,
might give u a shot on mine at the anni bash if your there?

BTW I wont grass u up to the rest of the crowd:p

so how can you tell a bike thats been imported? i know SPC do this a lot, and i'm off to see a guy who's selling one that he bought from SPC. anywhere special i can look to check?

pr0ne

Importing

I looked quite seriously into importing, but decided against it - too much hassle and farting about.

I looked at a bunch of bikes at SPC, and actually put a deposit on a blue/white nice looking R1150GS import. However, I wasn't totally happy with it - a gut-instict I suppose. I ended up buying a "pukka" UK bike from Vines at a decent price, and I'm glad I did. A few hundred quid more money, but a lot of peace of mind.

pr0ne said:
so how can you tell a bike thats been imported? i know SPC do this a lot, and i'm off to see a guy who's selling one that he bought from SPC. anywhere special i can look to check?

pr0ne

The two obvious points are the kph speedometer and the dipped headlamp. The headlamp (the larger of the 2) has a rectangular pattern on the lens. A UK bike with 'RHD' adjusted lights will have this rectangle parallel to the ground; an import adjusted for RHD will have the rectangle at an angle of about 30deg.

Mike:)

Hi Clive

You won't regret it if you go for the GS! I think that once Yani & I start going on the Northern Posse rides of the HVFRC, there will be even more defections :D
I can't make the Anni bash, but you'll be able to see Yani's GS there - mine's even better (of course) as I got the Adventure.
I'm off to France with Yani & Boris immediately afterwards, really looking forward to it.
Regards,
Charles

Yours would've bin nice charles if someone had'nt spilled custard on your seat!:p :p

Back
Top Bottom