Tow Bar Fitting

Toad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to get a Tow Bar fitted so I can tow my newly acquired bike trailer.

Anybody got any good suggestions on where would do it?

It's being fitted on to a Mercedes ML270. Mercedes want £890 to fit one :redbone

Suggestions welcomed:thumb

do a search on ebay, and you'll find a few independant dealers.

I just got one for my 5 series for £40 inc electrics, :thumb but I suspect that may find it difficult to be as lucky with a shiny new Merc.

Neat removeable ones cost a lot more than 'perminant' ones

It says something you can buy a 4x4 without a tow bar :nenau

It's being fitted on to a Mercedes ML270. Mercedes want £890 to fit one :redbone

Alternatively for that price you could buy a old rangie. Much more character and it would come with a tow bar free :)

Heres one on ebay and you would still have a £100 change:

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 363
I suspect that may find it difficult to be as lucky with a shiny new Merc.
It says something you can buy a 4x4 without a tow bar :nenau

Not new - just new to me!!

Still - 2 years old, and less than half it's new price!!!

Thanks for the guidance. I'd not thought of ebay.:thumb :thumb

You could try looking up a company called 'Towsure' they do mail-order towbars and fittings, and all manner of trailer and camping type equipment.

I once wanted to fit a towbar to a car of mine and was quoted over £300 by Ford. Bought it off an independant supplier for about £60 and mentioned Ford's quote. The guy serving me then told me he regularly supplied that particular Ford garage, and that they would be fitting the same towbar he was selling me. So that equated to about £240 for fitting...............which I managed to do myself in a couple of hours. This kind of rip off pricing really makes my blood boil:spitfire

If you're anywhere near competent with a set of spanners this is a job you can do quite confidently yourself:thumb2

You could try looking up a company called 'Towsure' they do mail-order towbars and fittings, and all manner of trailer and camping type equipment.

I once wanted to fit a towbar to a car of mine and was quoted over £300 by Ford. Bought it off an independant supplier for about £60 and mentioned Ford's quote. The guy serving me then told me he regularly supplied that particular Ford garage, and that they would be fitting the same towbar he was selling me. So that equated to about £240 for fitting...............which I managed to do myself in a couple of hours. This kind of rip off pricing really makes my blood boil:spitfire

If you're anywhere near competent with a set of spanners this is a job you can do quite confidently yourself:thumb2

Seconded:thumb2
M class = £119 and they will have a fitting guide on net as well :)http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=5021
Towsure, top company, even made a special for my wobblybox [motohome]

I've bought a few from Towsure and their alway easy to fit and wire up.

I need to get a Tow Bar fitted so I can tow my newly acquired bike trailer.

Anybody got any good suggestions on where would do it?

Any Local Garage will do it for you. Witter make towbars for your car and are available nationaly. Alternatively www.autow.co.uk list yours between £140 and £170 depending on year. The do free delivery and free electric pack. Just get someone local to fit it. I bought my bike trailer from them and they were really helpful.

Good Luck

AndyT

Back
Top Bottom