Gear/Shaft Porblem?

(RIP) maverick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

On my R1100GS I have found 2 problems and not quite sure what it is yet.

1. In 2nd and 5th gear when changing over it will slip into gear easily and then when I power throttle on it's like it engages hard into the gear, sorts of feel like it's taking up slack before engaging properly. Riding on high revs it does not seem to have the same problem.

2. This morning after riding the wheels off it the weekend in Wales there was a strange noise and vibration coming through my footpegs and I could describe it as sounding like worn bearings clacking along. It only did it on low revs in 4th gear and when the motor was still cold. Did not have any problems yesterday through traffic coming back.
The rest of the 6 miles to work did not do it again and not sure whether this could be gearbox or shaft related?

I have quickly checked and there is no play on my back wheel?

Any info or similar expierences you know where to reply!

Thanks
:gringo

Bevel Drive

Well it seems my Bevel Drive Bearing is on its way out.

Drained the gearbox oil last night and it was still fairly clear and not to much metal shavings/paste on the magnetic plug.

Wish I could say the same about the bevel drive. Oil came out grayish as if it mixed with grease. Besides that small flakes of metal which I assume is pieces of the bearing casing. This is not shavings but actual 2-3mm pieces of metal. That explains the whining noise when throttling down?

Now would the best option be to take the drive off and get BMW to recondition or buy 2nd hand from motorworks, motobins or if someone on the GS Site have one lying about for a good price please pm me.

Unfortunate that this had to go so soon after I bought it as the clocks only shows 43 000 miles. They should last a lot longer as far as I am concerned.

Re: Little Gringo Stop Laughing!!

judge said:
So this is why Gringo got the bullet so you could enjoy day-2-day reliability from a more modern form of transport?

Sorry, couldn't resist it!! :D

Well can say I miss the little bugger but this is a different ride and obviously different problems. On thing is when they break they all are equally expensive to fix.

Suppose if you buy things 2nd hand you have to anticipate these hidden factors and always something you can not spot with the eye.

Cheers

Re: Re: Little Gringo Stop Laughing!!

maverick said:
Well can say I miss the little bugger but this is a different ride and obviously different problems. On thing is when they break they all are equally expensive to fix.

Suppose if you buy things 2nd hand you have to anticipate these hidden factors and always something you can not spot with the eye.

Cheers
OK well since I poked fun perhaps I can offer this for your withdrawal. When I get round to fixing the latest problem with Marra. When you fancy a 'fix' of airhead give me a call, leave your hack bike in my garage and take the PD out for a spin. Can't say fairer than that can I?

Though don't expect the experience to be 'like gringo' ;)

Little Gringo Stop Laughing!!

judge said:
leave your hack bike in my garage and take the PD out for a spin. Can't say fairer than that can I?

Though don't expect the experience to be 'like gringo' ;)

So what you'e saying is you like the hack bikes some much you would actually like to see 2 of them in your garage? ;)

Thanks for the offer might just take you up on that! :cool: And don't think any ride would ever be like gringo, it was pure class put together with hours of filth, mud, rust and TLC ;)

One thing I am very impressed with the new bike is being able to do 230 miles (and we were not hanging about - 119 max on the GPS :eek: ) on 19.77 liters of fuel. Now that is value for money!!

Re: Little Gringo Stop Laughing!!

maverick said:
So what you'e saying is you like the hack bikes some much you would actually like to see 2 of them in your garage? ;)
Err no I'm not saying that. Though having a red 1100 and a black 1150 means I should be able to find mine!! At Bake's house on Sunday there were 4 1150's and it was a nightmare finding mine ;)
One thing I am very impressed with the new bike is being able to do 230 miles (and we were not hanging about - 119 max on the GPS :eek: ) on 19.77 liters of fuel. Now that is value for money!!
I wish, my one bug bear to date is fuel (my old friend as you know so well) having to fill up every day as the round trip to Reading coupled with a dearth of petrol stations and an aversion to running out means I've not gone beyond 170 before a fill up and usually something like 14 paltry litres in to top it up. I figure i need to carry a fuel bottle with me for a while to determine the exact fuel range in relation to my riding etc.

Oh the joys of owning something new and starting the ownership game all over again :D

Back
Top Bottom