Newbie gs owner questions

clutchspring

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi every one just purchased a 2018 1200gs rally te.
Just a couple of questions for the experienced gs owner's,
First question is regarding the handle bar switch gear because in the past after washing my previous bikes (hondas) I have always given all the electrical switch gear a good dowsing of wd40 and never had any problems., but maybe on the gs might not be a good idea due to having micro switches!.

Secondly I'll be fitting a tft anti theft guard and I would like to know your experiences with these as in fit & finish from various maker's.
Thanks,
Ian

welcome and congratulations on the new bike.
Regards switch gear I’ve never done anything like spray with WD but I’v owned a GS less than 3 years.
TFT guard, I bought the Cymarc one , without sunshade and it’s been fine, straight forward to fit and still as good as new. I also added a speedo angels screen protector.

Hi every one just purchased a 2018 1200gs rally te.
Just a couple of questions for the experienced gs owner's,
First question is regarding the handle bar switch gear because in the past after washing my previous bikes (hondas) I have always given all the electrical switch gear a good dowsing of wd40 and never had any problems., but maybe on the gs might not be a good idea due to having micro switches!.

Secondly I'll be fitting a tft anti theft guard and I would like to know your experiences with these as in fit & finish from various maker's.
Thanks,
Ian
Hi Ian

I find that WD40 is the devil incarnate on electrics
It is a great water displacer but leaves behind a coating of hard wax as it dries. ( great for weatherproofing hinges on gates and sheds etc )
People often say it free's up locks with a squirt every so often, but its just the solvent releasing the wax it left behind last time.

I would not spray anything on them unless they cause an issue, which they don't very often.

Dan

+1 for the Cymarc TFT protector. It must work - I still have my TFT :D
I also never douse my controls with WD40. My bike seems to still work - and I'm a jet-washer...

I'd use GT85, if you want to use anything. On my '13 plate GS it helps free up switches when feeling sticky, and it's a water displacer/drives out moisture from electrical systems. I;ve never had any issues using it!

Pretty sure the switchgear is sealed so WD40 wouldn't affect the electrical contacts unless the protective rubber/plastic is split. I use WD40 silicone spray whenever the plastic mechanical bits get a bit stiff.

Another vote for the Cymarc TFT thingy. I have never used WD40 on my switchgear on the 3 GS' I've had, what I do though is use a pet dryer on them, but blow across the switch to draw any water out rather than blow it further in. I too am a jetwasher but use an Auto nozzle on mine which gives a wider softer spray pattern

Hi every one , one more question regarding the rider's foot pegs on my rally is it possible to buy some rubber inserts to go over the stock foot pegs ! or is it a case of having to replace the stock foot pegs,
Thanks,
Ian.

Hi every one , one more question regarding the rider's foot pegs on my rally is it possible to buy some rubber inserts to go over the stock foot pegs ! or is it a case of having to replace the stock foot pegs,
Thanks,
Ian.
Yes there is as I bought some. I would suggest using a some loctite so as not to loose any screws. Had mine on for just over a year now and going strong but the left one where I mount the bike is starting to show signs of wear

Last edited:
I’ve the same footpeg rubbers, only done a couple of hundred miles on them but I’m pleased with the product so far.
Can also be bought through Nippy Normans.

I found a couple of options when looking cymarc also do some

I preferred the less aggressive tread on the Wunderlich ones.

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding fitting a vario top box, when I was looking at my bike prior to purchase I was told the bike had got the adapter plate to take a vario topbox.
Thing is I have now got hold of a used vario topbox but I'm struggling to fit the box to the adapter plate & I thinking may be I've got the wrong adapter plate !.
Please see photo.
Thanks,
Ian.

Attachments

• 20240304_162439.jpg
    20240304_162439.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks GSian i thoughtas much, any idea what the black piece is that's fitted at the moment !
Thanks,
Ian. (y)

It's the standard rack that comes with the LC GS.

Well I’ve learned something today. I thought the BMW topbox fitted directly onto the rack supplied as standard.

Well I’ve learned something today. I thought the BMW topbox fitted directly onto the rack supplied as standard.
Sorry, as above you need the adapter plate (I recently sold my vario topbox with the adapter plate) They tend to get left on the bike when they're sold, maybe because they don't have the original plate anymore.

Here's what you need

It might be an idea to see if your local dealer has any they've removed from a used GS knocking around, failing that they usually go for about £50 used if you're prepared to wait

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom