Off road in Spain at Redtread-- thoroughly recommended

BigAlMacMac

Reaction score
In December, two novice riders, me and me dad headed of to Redtread about 50 mins drive from Malaga airport, for 3 days off roading.

The pictures probably say it all.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/AlanMacMackie/MotorbikingSpainAtRedtread

Click slideshow for the easy option.

Anyway, the accomodation is great... the location fantastic. Literally right on the start of the tracks.

The owners, Ian and Sally, could hardly do more to make the trip more enjoyable. You can arrive in your shorts and t-shirts and within 30 minutes be fully kitted out in the best off road gear and on the back of a Suzuki DRZ-400 or an CCM 400 heading out into the sun bleached tracks.

Redtread run with a guide at the front and one at the end helping the tailender, in this case me old dad, who couldn't thank them enough for the support.

On the first day, us three novices, headed to a track by the coast to learn our skills including the strange balls-on-the-fuel-tank and leg out technique for cornering. After gaining condifence and speed it was off for a series of drops to learn decending and ascending.

Following a great long lunch by the beach we headed off for some more tracks before it rained, slowing us down and meaning a return in the dark through fog and rain up slippy tracks. Not what I had in mind at all but felt like an adventure since we could see almost nothing with the inadequet MX bike lights and the awareness of steep drops into the dark oblivion.

Day 2 dawned perfect so off up the hillside passing through fantastic scenery with only goats and the wind for company. Ever higher and faster as confidence increased. Another fantastic lunch in a hillside village.

Day 3: Today we headed off to the 6000 foot mark up the mountain called Maroma. From there you can see both the Atlas mountains of Morroco and Gibralta. The decent through the most technical section yet, called the corkscrew was steep and rutted which tested all our new found skills. Yet another fantastic lunch and off to blast a completely different area altogether on all I can describe as white marbles. Quite treacherous really but so demanding that concentration was at max, my favorite. However, I over cooked it and got thrown highside, landing on my head. A great, if dizzying lesson.

That night we headed out for dinner, having be too tired on previous nights and just ordered in. We ate in Competa yet another quaint, picturesque Spanish town and an easy walk from our base. The food was, once again, fabulous and reasonably priced.

Would we go back. Absolutely. Great hosts, incredibly handy for the uk, a quick cheap flight to Malaga, awesome tracks and trails and superb food.

Back
Top Bottom