Must Do Roads in Mid/North Wales

Yellow Hippo

Will be firing the beast up in anticipation of getting lost in Wales sometime in September.

Anyone got any recommended routes or roads that i simply must do?

Regards
Custard Hippo:beer:

Yo Keith,

There are loads of GS'ing places in Mid/North Wales. Let me know when you are ready to go and I'll show you some of the best. I'm in Shropshire the gateway to GS country.

Custard Hippo.

A fave of mine.

Leave Bala on A4212 toward Llyn Celyn.

After approx 8 miles turn right onto B4391.

After approx 4 miles turn right onto B4407

@ N 52 58 34.6 W 003 50 41.7 [approx 2m from B4391] take a small single track road on your left. Continue on this till it turns to the B4406 at Penmachno. Follow the B4406 till it hits the A5.

The A5 to Betws-Y-Coed and a truly world class bacon butty from the cafe in the station.

Leaving before terminal heart burn sets in, continue on the A5 and pick-up the A4086 at Capel Curig for a beautiful drive toward Snowdon.

Bottom line is that you can't really go wrong in Snowdonia.

Russ

I'm from North Wales originally. I only left there when I was 23 (now 29). Try A470 or A483 going north from Builth Wells. The roads around Bala are v.good too.

I once rode from Caernarfon (North) to LLanelli (South) and back the same day on a Blade. My friend was on a GS. Really discovered what the Blade was for around Builth Wells and was leaving him just about everywhere. Sorry guys.

I was totally shagged when I got home though unlike him.

Freshly tried personally this weekend @ Baskerville Hall , these are my Top 3 choices :-
a) B4358 Beulah to Newbridge on Wye - fast 'rollercoaster' sweepers - great road to 'get your pegs down' - fast and furious !!
b)B4521 from Peterstow to Abergavenny - again fast and slow bends ( some spoilt by hedges ) , but definitely a very fast and enjoyable road.
c) A488 from Penybont (nr Llandindod Wells) to Shrewsbury - 50 to 60 miles of pure 'Biking Heaven' . Moorland / Forests fast and slow bends on a good surface ' up hill and down dale'. This road was deserted even on Aug Bank Holiday Monday and you could average 70 - 80 mph and definitely 'scrape those pegs'.
These are my favourites from this weekend - although many that we sampled were truly 'mind blowing'.

Did a cracking run today through mid/North'ish Wales.

Pic taken half way up the side of Cader Idris (bound to have spelt that wrong) over looking Barmouth Bay.

Cracking unclassified GS road... Two strips of tarmac separated by grass up the middle, Dolgellau to Twwyn road

ci.jpg

welsh wales

a 543 from denbigh to pentrefolas

over the moors :)

then back again

then either a5 a470 to llandudno or to llangollen

A543...........Underrated. Could be because it's used to get to Snowdonia.

If you like it dirrty take the B4501 outa Denbigh and aim for the north end of Llyn Brenig. The road around the east side is basically a track leading to logging roads - good fun.
You can rejoin the B4501 at the southern end of Llyn B and head back up to the moor road.

Attachments

• llyn brenig.jpg
    llyn brenig.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 486
JohnnyBoxer said:
Freshly tried personally this weekend @ Baskerville Hall , these are my Top 3 choices :-
a) B4358 Beulah to Newbridge on Wye - fast 'rollercoaster' sweepers - great road to 'get your pegs down' - fast and furious !!
agree, this road is bonkers

b)B4521 from Peterstow to Abergavenny - again fast and slow bends ( some spoilt by hedges ) , but definitely a very fast and enjoyable road.
my last house was close to the Eastern end of this road, my current house is 1 mile from the Western end

Also try the Aberystwyth mountain road from Rhayader via Elan to Devil's Bridge, south to Tregaron and then back across the Cambrian watershed via Abergwesyn to Llanwrtyd Wells - look out for the Devil's Staircase, a series of 1 in 4 hairpins.

Originally posted by wessie

Also try the Aberystwyth mountain road from Rhayader via Elan to Devil's Bridge, south to Tregaron and then back across the Cambrian watershed via Abergwesyn to Llanwrtyd Wells - look out for the Devil's Staircase, a series of 1 in 4 hairpins.

Wessie,
We did on that Baskerville weekend twice (they were that good)and I have a few times before - ask the Prof. - Mr Eassom

Many of these roads will be on the menu for the bash in Rhayader on the 4,5,6 April 2003. Just have to go to the main National Events Thread and book your place.

Originally posted by wessie <br>

Click <A HREF=http://www.uk-bikers.com/Galleries/ElanValley/ target="_blank">here</A> to check out some photos of the Elan Valley and the mountain road to Aberystwyth.

Top roads in North wales are the black ashpalt ones joining place to place! No seriously though, all the roads up here are good/fantastic just beware of the new "full time" bear in the air that is now coming into play most non-rainy days.
North Wales police have now dedicated their helicopter to chasing bikes in an effort to stop the number of motorcyclist killing themselves. (death statistics are bad things to have in the police log book, but maiming disability are ok it would seem!)
Whatever your feelings on this, one things for sure, if you are round and about Bala/North Wales and the roads are clear, the weather is dry and all else in the world s fine then just before you nail it and have some fun look skyward, otherwise the next thing you know you will be getting a letter in the post.
Myself, I have relocated my number plate in an old spare pannier and positioned it in such a way that it can only be seen from directly behind my bike. Not been stopped for it yet either!
Also watch out for the born-agains, they seem to ride round in packs looking at the scenery and are oblivious to what is going on around them, get caught up with one of these groups at your peril.

Back
Top Bottom