Do you remove vario panniers overnight?

seakay

Reaction score
I've just returned from nine days through France and the Pyrenees and stayed in a different hotel everynight. I haven't got pannier bags and found it hard work lugging both boxes, helmet and tankbag from the bike to the hotel room so am thinking it's a better idea to get a couple of bags and leave the boxes on the bike. Generally speaking, if the bike is left parked in a town centre do you think it's safe to leave the boxes on the bike overnight? Whilst they're empty any potential scrotum isn't going to know this and may end up just ripping the things off.

Opinions??

Since I have had the bags once I have put the panniers on the bike I leave them there and so far never had any security issues. Have travelled through uk and most of mainland Europe. So get the inner bags and relax.

Don't worry about it.
Unless you live in Poole.
In which case (pun intended) leave the panniers chained to a lampost and carry the bike indoors.:)

That's what I thought too:rolleyes:

Feck me.....................I've never removed my panniers, whilst 'on a trip'

Paranoia

I do: Saves me having to sort through all the Netto carrier-bags, in the street, to find a clean pair of pants, socks...and fresh cravatte for the evening...

:p

Seriously though: Put everything you need at your overnight stop in one pannier.

:thumb2

:topic

PS: Have you noticed if it's stinking hot, they always put you on the top floor, at the far end of the corridor....andd the lift's fecked?

:D

It's not something I've ever considered.

Put my stuff in pastic bags and simply take them into the hotel room.

Leave the panniers on the bike.

Must say I'm bemused - We are talking about the Vario panniers that take all of 2 seconds to de-mount and have carrying handles on them ...aren't we?

:confused:

Hence my question - but everyone seems to leave them on the bike!

FFS.

Considering the amount of things that can be removed from a GS with a couple of pocket tools, the panniers are the least of your worries.

Or make up your own mind...

"Can anyone recommend a b&b with secure bike parking on St Kilda? I'd rather not have to remove my panniers.............:nenau"

Al :blast

If you search for long enough you will find threads about pannier inner bags. When on holiday with the motorcycle Mrs Bear and I use BMW inner bags (other brands are available at more reasonable prices) and leave the Varios on the bike all the time. The main reason for inner bags is that when you arrive at your accomodation you don't carry panniers covered with whatever road dirt you've ridden through into your hotel/tent/whatever. The BMW bags are expensive but are perfect carry-on bags for reputable airlines. At the other extrreme, Morrisons carrier bags are more robust than those of other supermarkets.

Back
Top Bottom