Feeding the GS Super Unleaded

My GSs (a 2006 and a 2010) got better mileage on the higher octane fuel in France on hols - consistently.

Far cheaper to buy normal unleaded or std diesel and add a measure or two of Millars octane or cetane booster

My GSs (a 2006 and a 2010) got better mileage on the higher octane fuel in France on hols - consistently.

probably due to lower levels of ethanol than the octane rating - a lot of super unleaded in the UK is ethanol free

I put super in my 2011 GSA (nearly) all the time
In my mind the bike certainly seems to run better and do marginally more mpg.
So I deem it worth it and it is, after all, my bike and my fucking money :D

Is that based on your own observation rather than anything scientific?

the fact it does nothing/almost nothing aside from emptying your wallet - try shell 99 and that really does behave differently

it should be noted engines are set up (ignition curve, compression ratio, cooling system etc.) to make use of the correct fuel usually available in that market and inline with what the engineers / marketing team wanted for that bike.

The GS is not intended for hard track use / ultimate power output - so they went with 95 RON which is the same on all UK Mkt GS1200s to 1250LCs. If you run higher octane fuel, performance and fuel efficiency should DROP. The higher octane slows down the speed the fuel burns... hence run too high an octane for the design/map its built with and it should go slower. As you move to suboptimal conditions...

Now there is a lot of placebo going on … But these days also a lot of other stuff throwing conventional wisdom a curved ball...

Tech is landing in posh fuel so basic rules start to wobble. Then you get silly emission control and lazy riding (not changing gear often enough and too wide a throttle setting for the conditions) pushing 95 to its ragged edge. And suddenly you swap to the other brand and the slower more controlled burning and its better resistance to knock under certain conditions can seem to help and certainly does bring a change in noise and engine vibration / harshness. As BMW build engines that feel like they forgot the oil, I can see why many like higher Octane

For BMWs that need 98 or higher 97 brings ZERO benefit... pop shell in and be surprised (S1000RR ? and K1300s)

the fact it does nothing/almost nothing aside from emptying your wallet - try shell 99 and that really does behave differently

)

Shell 99 certainly stops my GS pinking compared to using Sainsburys 95

Shell 99 certainly stops my GS pinking compared to using Sainsburys 95

In my own Experience, Super Unleaded never makes a marked difference to either Performance or Economy, whereas Supermarket Fuel (especially Morrison's) seems to give the Bike the right Hump.
Their Diesel used to upset my Kia Sorento too, making it run like a proper Lumpy Thing....:nenau

In my own Experience, Super Unleaded never makes a marked difference to either Performance or Economy, whereas Supermarket Fuel (especially Morrison's) seems to give the Bike the right Hump.
Their Diesel used to upset my Kia Sorento too, making it run like a proper Lumpy Thing....:nenau

Ah the old supermarket fuel chestnut, guaranteed to add a few more pages :blast

I agree, if i do not spend my own money the bloody wife will!!
Weather it is better or not my 07 GS does feel smoother than std 95 ron, never know what the mpg is as used very little

1024px-Gas_Station_Pump_Five_Octane_Ratings.jpg

*borrowed pic
I accidentally put low-octane fuel in my K1200RS in Germany. At the first junction when I pulled the clutch the bike stalled! It was also "buzzy" at highway speeds with awful vibration.
Putting some super unleaded in fixed it.
I often use super unleaded, it does seem smoother.

Was in the alps and the petrol station had I think it was 101 or 105 octane and put this in holy Jesus , like someone spanked the arse of my mustang horse , it was trying to wheelie so if anyone says different as it doesn't give you more power than id say kiss my arse

you'd been a scot doubt you'd put in super unleaded as its more expensive , my Scottish mate won't and he won't even put his riding lights on as he thinks it costs him more .

its got a better burn which suits large twins more detergents to keep your ending cleaner , use it all the time in my 2018 gsa and my cars . its only tight arses that say other wise .

Back
Top Bottom