Nitron shocks on a R1150GS

Smug

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone fitted Nitron shocks on a R1150GS and tried it off road? Are they worth the money?

I think that most people either go with Ohlins or Wilbers.

I have the latter and they are a big improvement over the standard units with a significantly greater range of preload and damping adjustment. Made to order and specified to suit the riders weight and the use the bike will get.

had a hands on with some nitron shocks at a show this weekend. they looked very well made & i particularly liked the articulated banjo connections used on the hoses.

I have received the Nitrons for my R1150GS in Singapore. Front Standard and Rear with remote HP. They look slick though the color of the springs just doesn't sink well. Oh well! That's not really that important.
Noticeable is the shaft diameter of the shocks at 16mm. I think the other makes are skinnier?
Will have them on soon and provide a ride report sometime.

I will also install a 4 BAR pressure regulator from the 1200, Air inlet tubes from a R1100S, a Laser Exhaust (muffler only) and a ticker killer. Wait for it!!

I have Nitrons from Rugged Roads on my 1100gs. Rugged Roads were great in talking to me and ensuring I got what I wanted and making sure all the weights on the form were correct.

On road the bikes handling is hugely improved and in comparison to the standard shock the Nitron is built way better with thicker shaft and a machined aluminium handle on the preload adjuster instead of the plastic knob.

I would recommend calling Jonathan at Rugged Roads as they have varying levels of specs at varying prices.

Tom

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

DSCN0896_zps484621f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0871_zps221bc412.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0879_zps1987852f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0865_zps37fd4a78.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ordered F and R (with Remote Preload) from Rugged Roads and arrived promptly. Good pricing (September offer) and me mates have been asking as well.
Like most shocks NEW! rides very well. Needs some further fine tuning but performs well. I hope this is more robust (from the larger shaft diameter) as shocks failing on a long trip is disastrous.
Check right spring rates as "Rear" seems too soft for me with baggage.

Static sag is 35/30mm F/R and Dynamic at 55/50mm

Bicycle Rear Bag modified to a Tank Bag (cost GBP16)
DSCN0874_zps3a6680b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HIDs all round
DSCN0869_zps431f818c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nippon Denso Starter with Housing modified ala R1200GS
DSCN0866_zps15100f1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Homemade Light Bracket
DSCN0878_zps45dab13b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Intake tubes from a R11
DSCN0892_zps07befb45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have changed my pressure regulator to a 4BAR unit from the R12 and am using Brisk plugs.

Next project is change 'Clutch Housing, Pressure PLate and Clutch' to that of an R12 as well, equals no slip on inclines as well as steel braided clutch hose.
To follow, Comms set up with BT and Walkie talkie.

I have received the Nitrons for my R1150GS in Singapore. Front Standard and Rear with remote HP. They look slick though the color of the springs just doesn't sink well. Oh well! That's not really that important.
Noticeable is the shaft diameter of the shocks at 16mm. I think the other makes are skinnier?
Will have them on soon and provide a ride report sometime.

I will also install a 4 BAR pressure regulator from the 1200, Air inlet tubes from a R1100S, a Laser Exhaust (muffler only) and a ticker killer. Wait for it!!

What are 'ticker killers'? Got a link?

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

For "ticker killer"

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prodimages/lg/FUA00110.jpg

For a well worn Boxer engine, you could revitalise it through proper tuning and balancing, as a start.
I would emphasize -
Throttle Flap Stops - ensure no 'sticking'
Throttle cables - 'stickiness' due to worn off teflon coating leads to uneven balancing and impossible to tune properly.
(these things happen to me).
Clean injectors
Good ignition
Of course assuming all else is well.
Then proceed to get the TPS (potentiometer) right before balancing.

If sound is an issue
- Left cylinder Chain tensioner
- Right Throttle body 'ticker killer'
and if you have experienced high revs, high temperature and basically have thrashed the machine over a 100km,
look to replacing
- Timing and Cam chains
- Chain guides
- Tensioners
Again, de carbonising the cylinder and combustion chamber helps.

-

Nitron

Fitted a Nitron to my gs, done about 10k and its been great, bike ridden every day, would advise the remote adjuster, doing it manualy is a pain in the arse! (maybe im doing it wrong!).:bounce1

Take a look at Shock Factory.
Just fitted one to the front of mine - superb.
Will be going back for a rear.
Service and advice from Mike was second to none.
Highly recommended.

7 years later ........:D

Better late than never! I had a set of Nitrons fitted at MCT having originally requested Ohlins, Darren recommended Nitron as he reckoned they were more reliable for road use, and cheaper. I love them (the Nitrons, and MCT...)

Fitted a Nitron to my gs, done about 10k and its been great, bike ridden every day, would advise the remote adjuster, doing it manualy is a pain in the arse! (maybe im doing it wrong!).:bounce1

My buddy is looking to get a Nitro as well. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler this week and we'll work on his bike. He will definitely go with the remote adjuster.

Better late than never! I had a set of Nitrons fitted at MCT having originally requested Ohlins, Darren recommended Nitron as he reckoned they were more reliable for road use, and cheaper. I love them (the Nitrons, and MCT...)

Same here, Nitron front and rear from MCT, Darren gives excellent service and always happy to chat when I call up with a daft question on set up. He also sorted out my MT09 last year with Nitron shock and up graded fork internals. I was driving past his place to pick up the shock so he offered to do the fork whilst I waited because he was going on two weeks leave.

Oh, definitely get the HPA. I started out without one as it was only me on the bike. Three weeks after fitting the new shock I met my girlfriend and she decided she wanted to commute on the back of the bike. £450 for a new shock that I couldn’t adjust easily.

Ive got one for the rear, much better than standard. Been serviced twice so done about 100k on it, I ride enthusiastically and have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom