Second bike

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have one bike with BMW Insurance but want a trail bike too; I'm looking at a Honda XR600R but BMW Insurance will only insure Third Party for some reason :nenau

Went to Carol Nash: because I have used my No Claims Bonus on the BMW, I got a best quote of £193. At least it was fully comp, going TPFT saved only £26.

Anyone suggest a good place to insure a trail bike at reasonable money?

(BMW policy runs to June so can't cancel cheaply).

Thanks all,

A

I have my RT, G/S and Alp all on one policy with Carole Nash.

Never had any issues, price seems reasonable, but I've never had to claim for anything.

Take out a classic policy with Carole Nash on the xr600 fully comp, then add the bmw later transfering your ncb , should make a significant saving.

Speak to CN about it

I've just added my WR250R to my existing policy for the GSA with Hastings Direct. Cost me £28 for 6 months + £20 'Admin fee'.

If its just for riding trails is it worth doing comprehensive. Just do 3pft on compare sites with 0 ncb. Itll soon come down
Pj

I have one bike with BMW Insurance but want a trail bike too; I'm looking at a Honda XR600R but BMW Insurance will only insure Third Party for some reason :nenau

Went to Carol Nash: because I have used my No Claims Bonus on the BMW, I got a best quote of £193. At least it was fully comp, going TPFT saved only £26.

Anyone suggest a good place to insure a trail bike at reasonable money?

(BMW policy runs to June so can't cancel cheaply).

Thanks all,

A

Something bothered me about this when I first read it....and I've now realised what it is. You do know that if you use your NCD allowance from the BMW to insure your trail bike you can then no longer use it to insure your BMW? Unless things have changed massively in the Personal Lines insurance market in the last 6 years, the NCD is only transferrable between vehicles; you can't double it up and effectively use it on two vehicles at once. So if you use your NCD for the trails bike you effectively have zero years NCD on the BMW. A multibike policy may, in practical terms, apply the discount to both vehicles - don't know, as I've never had anything to do with premium calculations on multi-bike policies. If you do apply the NCD to two seperate motor policies you are leaving yourself open to having any claim dismissed on the basis of false information - potentially also to charges of fraud in the event of a claim.

If I've misunderstood your post then ignore me completely and sorry for wasting your time! :rolleyes: :D

JKW - thanks for the post but I do realise I have only one NCD which is why the Honda quote was so high. The BMW insurnace expires in June so I don't want to stop/restart IYSWIM.

What I'm after is info on where to go to get the best zero NCD deal. TPFT doesn't seem to save much (<20%) but I willl try it and FC on a comparison site or two as suggested. I'll also give Footman James a call as I used them years ago and they were good for a classic.

Thanks all so far.

A

UPDATE - well I went with eBike for £123 fully comp in the end.

Yes, I hear the comments about them but I like to be legal in a cheap way.

Yes their website for policy holders is still down (since October - they are supposed to be a web-based business where customers can update their info online rather than by post or phone - 5 months with no customer interface stinks but at least the phone call is now local rate (was £1.04/minute....)) - yes they don't seem to be at all bothered about the website BUT they were helpful, courteous and rang me back when they said, so fingers-crossed they are getting sorted.

Thanks everyone for the help, even if I didn't use it!

Back
Top Bottom