Cottage near Kelso - advise

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Scotland section but have gone for here as there seems to be other posts covering the Borders:nenau

We have just booked a cottage near Kelso for September for my wife and myself for 6 nights. We have not visited this area before apart from a 1 night stop at Jedburgh on our way to Inverness. I have had a quick look at some of the posts on the site but decided it would be easier to ask for some specific advise from my fellow GS'ers. What I would like is any advise on:

Places not to miss
Must ride roads
Lunch stops
Coffee stops

Very grateful for any advise that could help us have a great trip:confused: My wife doesn't mind being out all day as long as she gets a few stops:cool:

We have done a few of the roads further west between Dumfries and Ayr when we were staying in Penrith so not as bothered about revisiting that area unless we have the time.

Forgot to say this is on the bike

Thanks
Dave

Jedburgh is nice. Of course, a day out in Edinburgh and another day in Glasgow goes without saying...

Jedburgh is nice. Of course, a day out in Edinburgh and another day in Glasgow goes without saying...

I have been to Glasgow and my wife has been to Edinburgh so not sure we will do cities especially on the bike!

Might stop at Jedurgh I did have a mega burger there.............

Moffat, Biggar and Peebles are all worth a look.

Biggar: One of the town’s main attractions is a world famous Victorian puppet theatre. Biggar also has somw wonderful museums, including the Biggar & Upper Clydesdale Museum and the Biggar Gasworks Museum, the only preserved gas works in Scotland. At the Albion Museum, vehicles made the commercial vehicle manufacturer Albion Motors are displayed, some of which date back to 1899.

Moffat
visitscotland_26712865534_553153337.jpg

Peebles has "Glentress" one of the first dedicated MTB trails...

If you're at all interested in industrial heritage, can I recommend Beamish. Be about a 90 min run from Kelso. If you go, set aside the whole day.

Oh, and the famous (from Da Vinci Code) Roslyn Chapel if you are passing nearby (which you will if you head to Edinburgh)

Moffat, Biggar and Peebles are all worth a look.

Biggar: One of the town’s main attractions is a world famous Victorian puppet theatre. Biggar also has somw wonderful museums, including the Biggar & Upper Clydesdale Museum and the Biggar Gasworks Museum, the only preserved gas works in Scotland. At the Albion Museum, vehicles made the commercial vehicle manufacturer Albion Motors are displayed, some of which date back to 1899.

Moffat
visitscotland_26712865534_553153337.jpg

Peebles has "Glentress" one of the first dedicated MTB trails...

I will look into those, thanks.

We did stop in Moffat once for a quick cuppa.

Duns. Hopefully they'll have finished the refurbishment of the Jim Clark Rooms.

https://www.liveborders.org.uk/museums_and_galleries/jim_clark_room_closed_for_refurbishments.aspx

I love the whole area, roads that don't look like they should be good to ride, are. Quiet area and all the better for it.

Nice wee bistro / caff on the square in Duns. After lunch there, head over the Lammermuirs to Haddington and have your tea (evening meal) at Falko's the German baker. If not, just buy one of his loaves and head over to North Berwick for a fish supper.

Jedburgh is worth a look. The Town Jail, part of the Old Tolbooth. Mary Q of S's house will be a topical visit given the current movie. Beware though: a highly romanticised and favourable view of her! But it's free!

Dryburgh Abbey (Walter Scott and FM Haig buried there) plus the other border abbeys if you are into that. Historic Scotland membership should pay off btw. Melrose a nice wee toon for a lunch and an amble about. Do not miss Scott's View near Dryburgh.

For a decent run, head for Hawick and have a look at the museum (Jimmy Guthrie and Hizzy exhibits) in Wilton park. Come back via Hermitage Castle, Keilder and the A68 /697.

Nice wee bistro / caff on the square in Duns. After lunch there, head over the Lammermuirs to Haddington and have your tea (evening meal) at Falko's the German baker. If not, just buy one of his loaves and head over to North Berwick for a fish supper.

Jedburgh is worth a look. The Town Jail, part of the Old Tolbooth. Mary Q of S's house will be a topical visit given the current movie. Beware though: a highly romanticised and favourable view of her! But it's free!

Dryburgh Abbey (Walter Scott and FM Haig buried there) plus the other border abbeys if you are into that. Historic Scotland membership should pay off btw. Melrose a nice wee toon for a lunch and an amble about.

For a decent run, head for Hawick and have a look at the museum (Jimmy Guthrie and Hizzy exhibits) in Wilton park. Come back via Hermitage Castle, Keilder and the A68 /697.

A friend of ours recommended a fish supper at North Berwick, must be good:thumb

The road from Hawick to Newcastleton (or vice versa) is nice. Can’t remember the number. I think it’s a B road but most of it is decently tarmacced because it’s a road for logging trucks apparently. Quite scenic in parts and very twisty in parts.

The road from Newcastleton over the top to Langholm is also interesting. It’s concrete I think and single track in many places (with passing places). It’s not a classic biking road by any means, it’s just interesting because it’s unusual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom