20191005_101256.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 20191005_115635.jpg
    20191005_115635.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 230
  • 20191005_115644.jpg
    20191005_115644.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 226
Ahhh, good old days..... with the Karoo 3 bollox tyres.... (I blame the tyres...)

[Cough] the BMW school run Karoos and they are quite good for the price. Maybe its just the wrong type of mud you have nearby :D

[Cough] the BMW school run Karoos and they are quite good for the price. Maybe its just the wrong type of mud you have nearby :D

Correct, and for Walters Arena and road use to get there, the Karoo 3 is good enough.

The training grounds are quite grippy, but people do fall off regularly on Level 1, and Level 2. I've seen it for myself. More balance issues to be fair.

Trail riding is a lot harder, nothing like the prepped smooth roads on Walters Arena. Knobbly tyres give you a much better chance.

I thought those Karoo 3 tyres would be good enough, but they are not a patch on these Mitas E-12 and E-13 Dakar tyres on wet muddy terrain.

I'm guessing lots will. When you look at Autotrader, 22668 bikes for sale, 12,312 of them are less than 3 years old and of these...10,685 have fewer than 5000 miles on the clock. God, rufty tufty bikers are a bunch of sunny Sunday pussys

Indeed. Just picked up a 68 plate with 1100 miles on it from Autotrader for I'd reckon £1000 less than can be had from a stealers.

Indeed. Just picked up a 68 plate with 1100 miles on it from Autotrader for I'd reckon £1000 less than can be had from a stealers.

Pics....

Oh... and the other reason Karoo 3 tyres are popular is they are Tubeless Tyres.... ideal for BMW Tubeless Rims and quickly fixing punctures in a training environment.

These Dakar tyres are Moose or Tubed Tyres only.

Correct, and for Walters Arena and road use to get there, the Karoo 3 is good enough.

The training grounds are quite grippy, but people do fall off regularly on Level 1, and Level 2. I've seen it for myself. More balance issues to be fair.

Trail riding is a lot harder, nothing like the prepped smooth roads on Walters Arena. Knobbly tyres give you a much better chance.

I thought those Karoo 3 tyres would be good enough, but they are not a patch on these Mitas E-12 and E-13 Dakar tyres on wet muddy terrain.

Did you not get the chance to go into some of the more muddier areas ,whilst challenging they are still capable but I guess they are a compromise tyre whereas yours are more an off road tyre balance ?

Did you not get the chance to go into some of the more muddier areas ,whilst challenging they are still capable but I guess they are a compromise tyre whereas yours are more an off road tyre balance ?

Yeah at times, but the speed is a lot slower when training, and you're not challenged badly with deep ruts, mud and rocks on cambers or hills for long periods of time. It's a lot smoother generally on hardpack ground, and short bursts of exposure.

The Karoo 3 tyres are absolutely fine in dry weather, and wet hardpack. But nowhere near as good as the Mitas tyres for mud. The second you tip the bike over into a corner, the Karoo 3 tyres have no grip left. It'll wash out the tyre. Whereas the Mitas E-12 and E-13 will still grip and allow faster cornering speeds in slippery conditions.

That's what I've found anyways.

I've no doubt a seasoned, or professional off-roader could do better with Karoo 3 tyres, than my novice ass on Mitas Dakar tyres, but I'm learning and need all the assistance I can get :D

Attachments

• Mitas6.jpg
    Mitas6.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Mitas4.jpg
    Mitas4.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Mitas2.jpg
    Mitas2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 492
  • Mitas and Metzeller.jpg
    Mitas and Metzeller.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 491
That's also one of the reasons I've stuck to a Tubed Rim wheelset, as the Tubed Tyre range is better suited to off-road use.

I think the Tubeless Tyre ranges are more suited to dual purpose and road use.... like the Karoo 3

Because my Africa Twin has very low windshield, my top speeds never go past 80mph anyways. So the tyre speeds and on-road performance don't matter to me either, so long as they're legal and safe.

When I do want to use my Africa Twin for faster or road-based use, I switch the wheelset over to the Gold Rims and Road bias Tyres :thumb2

Attachments

• Gold1.jpg
    Gold1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Gold2.jpg
    Gold2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 539
  • Gold3.jpg
    Gold3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 530
What with a lot of 2017 models coming up to the end of the three year repayments in Septemeber , will there be offers out there again when the time comes due to the circumstances at the current time.I was thinking of handing mine back as a troublesome wrist is giving me problems with the weight of the bike and i am hoping Honda do not try and give me lower than the quoted price when i bought the bike leaving me with negative equity.
I was thinking of putting it up for sale now but i doubt if anyone is buying at the moment especially with private sales.

What with a lot of 2017 models coming up to the end of the three year repayments in Septemeber , will there be offers out there again when the time comes due to the circumstances at the current time.I was thinking of handing mine back as a troublesome wrist is giving me problems with the weight of the bike and i am hoping Honda do not try and give me lower than the quoted price when i bought the bike leaving me with negative equity.
I was thinking of putting it up for sale now but i doubt if anyone is buying at the moment especially with private sales.

If yours is on the PCP deal, provided you've met the conditions, mileage etc, just hand it back and walk away

I'm looking for a low mileage AT if anyone is thinking of selling theirs privately to avoid handing it back.
I have started a wanted advert in thd non gs section.
Thanks

I'm looking for a low mileage AT if anyone is thinking of selling theirs privately to avoid handing it back.
Thanks

I think that the majority of us who got ATs on the 0% PCP bargain did so in September '17, so I'd imagine late July onwards would be the ideal time to start looking.

Thanks

I could be tempted to part with mine, i did intend to revert it back to stock and hand it back however with only 3500 on the clock and the fact that our trip in june has now been cancelled i may as well just pay the remaining balance and keep the bike unless someone wants to make me an offer ?

Full ohlins suspension - titanium exhaust (full system and sports cat) - luggage - rally-raid 17/19 tubeless wheels - bike is wrapped in ppf - sergeant seats - TT fog/spots - oe crash bars - adv-sport belly pan - the list of extras is endless.

The bike is totally immaculate.

I could be tempted to part with mine, i did intend to revert it back to stock and hand it back however with only 3500 on the clock and the fact that our trip in june has now been cancelled i may as well just pay the remaining balance and keep the bike unless someone wants to make me an offer ?

Full ohlins suspension - titanium exhaust (full system and sports cat) - luggage - rally-raid 17/19 tubeless wheels - bike is wrapped in ppf - sergeant seats - TT fog/spots - oe crash bars - adv-sport belly pan - the list of extras is endless.

Gotta be worth £20k with those upgrades..................

You spend some money on your bikes DD!!! Do you still have the carbon wheels for your old Superduke?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Would you get the 19 plate on 0% with a £2000 saving or get the new one 5.9% on a pcp?

Back
Top Bottom