Buying from the UK - Payment Options/Process

Frostie

Reaction score
Hey lads,

Posted something similar in the newbie section but I am going to post it there too as it is probably more relevant.

Basically I am on the look out for a R1200 GSA and am likely going to have to buy from the UK.

My questions are:

1) After contacting the seller and asking the usual questions about the bike do you then generally pay a deposit to secure it before heading over?

2) In terms of paying for the bike; is it best to deal in cash? Or is a bank transfer the way to go? If so, is there any recommended websites/apps for doing this with low/no commission rates and decent exchange rates?

Sorry about all the questions, never bought from the UK before so its all a bit new to me.

These are the ones I am looking at for reference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333163394364?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200GS-ADVENTURE-R-1200-GS-ADVENTURE-ABS-MODEL-EXCELLENT-BIKE-2010-10/293061943913?hash=item443bda6269:g:WewAAOSwO2pcv6nC

Any thoughts and/or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi. Usually a small deposit via PayPal. I’ve used Moneycorp successfully to complete sterling bank transfers.

Both bikes are being offered by dealers.

They should be sound, but I wouldn't send a penny until you've eyeballed them in the metal.

DO NOT ring them first. If they know you are coming from Ireland, they know you are going to buy and your chances of negotiating a deal are zilch.

If you can do a bank transfer in UK coin, that's the way to go. Try paying in Euro or Punt and you'll be rogered on the exchange rate.

You could probably use your debit card. Check with your bank first for what their fees would be.
There’s no problem with calling the dealer before you travel I would say. Get as much info as you can and negotiate on the phone. Pay a small holding deposit if happy with what you hear but stipulate that it’ll be refunded if the bike is not as described.
However far you travel, always be prepared to walk away if things aren’t what you’ve been led to believe.

Not all bike dealers are thieves and scoundrels. Give one a call and see how it goes. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

You could ask if you can pay in Euro, I have sold privately and been happy to take Euro, then used them on holidays etc.

You could ask if you can pay in Euro, I have sold privately and been happy to take Euro, then used them on holidays etc.

That sounds like a good option. You might also be able to organize a bank payment via a compatriot who has an account in the sterling zone? i.e Across the border in NI?

Back
Top Bottom