Tool Kit 1100 and 1200

finn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on putting together a tool kit for any eventuality for either my 1200 RT will always be on the road but also my adventurised 1100gs whose done a list

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Sigh... what are your mechanical limits working at the side of the road ? How much of the engine/gearbox/final drive are you prepared to strip down while laying in the gutter. Knowing this wil have a large influence on the tools you’ll need to carry in the tool kit. :D

Sigh... what are your mechanical limits working at the side of the road ? How much of the engine/gearbox/final drive are you prepared to strip down while laying in the gutter. Knowing this wil have a large influence on the tools you’ll need to carry in the tool kit. :D

This.

But the easiest way to work it out is to actually do what you're comfortable doing (and perhaps a little more), and make a note of each tool you pick up in the process, then look for small (but strong) versions.

Well I do quite a lot of trail riding so pretty well versed in that department and always had new GS with that breakdown card so at the moment I’ve got a Cruz tool kit, power pack, Wera small tool kit, bmw plug pullers and full set of wera torx and finally a puncture repair kit.
I guess the question is if tomorrow i was going to do 2000 miles would you take anything else?
As for ability Mr Average I’m afraid but fully service all trail bikes up to when there is a cylinder head to sort

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

question is if tomorrow i was going to do 2000 miles would you take anything else?

If I was going to do 2000 miles tomorrow I would make sure the tyres had air, I could see some oil in the sightglass, and had enough money to buy fuel.

If I was going to do 2000 miles tomorrow I would make sure the tyres had air, I could see some oil in the sightglass, and had enough money to buy fuel.
OK would you change that if half was off road and you were on a 1994 gs with 150k on the clock

OK would you change that if half was off road and you were on a 1994 gs with 150k on the clock

Look to have enough tools to remove the tank, wheels, brakes etc. Check clutch cable and actuating arm, alternator belt, final drive etc before you set off. Take the same tools you use to prep the bike and you're good to go :beerjug:

Cheers Tim ahhh the 7mm Alan key

yes, but you didnt say that ;)

i have trust in my 100k '95 GS as I only have myself to blame otherwise. It's in good fettle. 1000 miles off road? never done it but of course you'll need more tools but depends where youre going. tyre levers, tools for tank removal and brake servicing, spare FD bearing and seal, spare throttle and clutch cables, gaffer tape, cable ties, puncture kit, banjo, vaseline.

yes, but you didnt say that ;)

i have trust in my 100k '95 GS as I only have myself to blame otherwise. It's in good fettle. 1000 miles off road? never done it but of course you'll need more tools but depends where youre going. tyre levers, tools for tank removal and brake servicing, spare FD bearing and seal, spare throttle and clutch cables, gaffer tape, cable ties, puncture kit, banjo, vaseline.
Ta I guess if the fd bearing went although fixable at home you would have to carry pulleys and a hammer I guess

Ta I guess if the fd bearing went although fixable at home you would have to carry pulleys and a hammer I guess

more to have the bits required so that most wee garages whereever you are could fix it. plus, everyone knows that if you have a spare with you the original never breaks.

If it’s done 150k miles why worry about another 2k miles. :D

Who said I was worried,

Testing fate

Back
Top Bottom