Why shouldn’t I buy an airhead

I built my own, originally a 85 R80RT, if as you say you have access to the equipment then I’d go for it, I ride mine more than my other bikes,plus you’re unlikely to see another one like it.

Attachments

• 74BCD374-6BE9-43F5-B76C-96C4EC169880.jpg
    74BCD374-6BE9-43F5-B76C-96C4EC169880.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 313
I built my own, originally a 85 R80RT, if as you say you have access to the equipment then I’d go for it, I ride mine more than my other bikes,plus you’re unlikely to see another one like it.

That’s the kind of thing I think I’m looking for.

My Moorespeed GS in Marlboro livery is just about to go up for sale this weekend.It has only done 3100 miles since being finished.PM me if you want pics and more info.I sball be putting up a full ad this weekend.Want a 1200 adventure.

You shouldn't buy an Airhead cos if you do you will instantly become a grumpy old f**k and start to smell of wee wee.

Ive had a G/S PD for years.....use it more and kept it longer than any other bike ive ever had -and I have had LOADS.......nuff said!

You shouldn’t buy one because they’re rubbish. The only reason these guys are banging on about them is they’re terrified of residual values crashing and the bikes dropping to a price level that they should be (about £1500 for a good one).

I think I need to ride one really, I had a rnineT while my GS was in for a service. It wasn’t an urban just a basic one, I found it a bit small, but loved the engine and general feel of it. Am I looking at this through rose tinted glasses I ask myself? I’m in no rush as my GS does everything I want and more.

If you fancy a ride on mine you’re welcome to have a go on mine, maybe meet in Suffolk / thetford area? Gs Pd paralever :thumb

Or come down here and take it out for a couple of hours

That’s really kind of you. A lot of positive posts in this section hmmm.

You shouldn’t buy one because they’re rubbish. The only reason these guys are banging on about them is they’re terrified of residual values crashing and the bikes dropping to a price level that they should be (about £1500 for a good one).

Controversial

There’s no reason not to get one, great for smaller roads and good fun to own and ride I’ve never been long without one for nearly 30 years now ( I started very early :D)
Still like to have something newer for longer distance and quicker riding
I have one just like that coming up for sale soon as I need to downside my stock prior to a house move. I should take some photos and stick it on here but will get a new mot on it first.

Far from being a disappointment, I think they're dependable, good-handling, practical and charismatic classics. I've had 3 and loved all of them.

It amazes me that some people, previously Airhead fans, move over to other equally compromised overpriced brand, and can then find nothing positive to say about their previous passion.

As a long term Airhead owner I can tell you that they have their faults but overall they are, in general, a great bike if you get them.

As with any aspect of life it’s hard to go backwards and I would imagine if a 1200 is your bag you’re best to stick with it.

It amazes me that some people, previously Airhead fans, move over to other equally compromised overpriced brand, and can then find nothing positive to say about their previous passion.

As a long term Airhead owner I can tell you that they have their faults but overall they are, in general, a great bike if you get them.

As with any aspect of life it’s hard to go backwards and I would imagine if a 1200 is your bag you’re best to stick with it.

Wise words, I think it may be a “second bike project” then decide further down the road.

One thing you will not be short off is good information. I spent about 2 years reading items and following projects on here, then the opportunity to buy a R100gs Bumble Bee came along which I jumped at. From then on I've spent an small fortune and many a spare hour fettelling and improving then planning the next part of the restoration and enjoyed every challenge. I also have a Yamaha XT1200 which now is use for Tours and long rides but anything else its the GS. I just love riding it.

It does seem to be a good area for Airheads in Norfolk, we should have a get together at some time, maybe Whitwell one Friday or any other suggestion.

Barny
Land of the tractor.

They are an addiction, and most addicts know that the next shot isn't going to be any good.

I paid $A4,200-/ 2000 quid for my well used G/S PD but it doesn't do anything much better than my $800- Funduro , so as a rider it was probably expensive at that.
Particularly as I can buy a new ex demo RE Himalaya for $6,000- on the road, and they will do almost anything the G/S can do.
Except perhaps get out to 460,000 km on the original crank and clutch!
Robs valuation of airheads is about right if you value them on their merits as a riding machine, anything over that and you are paying for their pose value.
Which might explain why they are cheap in Oz and expensive in England!

They are an addiction, and most addicts know that the next shot isn't going to be any good.

I paid $A4,200-/ 2000 quid for my well used G/S PD but it doesn't do anything much better than my $800- Funduro , so as a rider it was probably expensive at that.
Particularly as I can buy a new ex demo RE Himalaya for $6,000- on the road, and they will do almost anything the G/S can do.
Except perhaps get out to 460,000 km on the original crank and clutch!
Robs valuation of airheads is about right if you value them on their merits as a riding machine, anything over that and you are paying for their pose value.
Which might explain why they are cheap in Oz and expensive in England!

I think they are expensive in England because the beardies have found a taste for them, airheads in general, so they can butcher the back end and turn them into an older version of the R9T (BMW, for once, saw the trend and reacted to it, as have Triumph). I wonder how the London emissions thing will affect values for the future?

I'm more likely to get rid of my 1150 than my airheads. They'll be the last things to go should the time come.

Attachments

• Bikes.jpg
    Bikes.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 174

Back
Top Bottom