can't get the rear brake to work after the the pad change & bleeding

keltis99

Reaction score
2015 LC with 27k km on the clock.

bought a bike 2 days ago with previous owner haven't had replaced the rear pads since forever - the old ones were literally 0mm when I took them out (=irresponsible if you may). the rear brake pedal was simply hitting the bottom and not even coming back up.

so i replaced the pads, bled the system the old way (don't have the gs911 tool) with a syringe sucking the old fluid through the nipple and refilling the reservoir as i went. i went through around 200ml of dot4 when i was satisfied with the new color.

Having closed the system i don't get the system to pressurize and engage the rear brake properly. there is about 20% effectiveness on braking and i have to extend the pedal all the way down. and that's after pumping like 10 times. first time i did some vigorous pumping while driving slowly i saw some liquid came out from the nipple and there was even some smoke from the caliper/pads (super hot). Now i took out some dot4 from the reservoir (overfilled was my suspicion), drove around - no overheating - but i could not get any feeling of braking. there are no warning lights and front brakes work perfectly.

any suggestions? air? reset the abs system by disconnecting the battery? a trip to the stealer? many thanks

2015 LC with 27k km on the clock.

bought a bike 2 days ago with previous owner haven't had replaced the rear pads since forever - the old ones were literally 0mm when I took them out (=irresponsible if you may). the rear brake pedal was simply hitting the bottom and not even coming back up.

so i replaced the pads, bled the system the old way (don't have the g911 tool) with a syringe sucking the old fluid through the nipple and refilling the reservoir as i went. i went through around 200ml of dot4 when i was satisfied with the new color.

Having closed the system i don't get the system to pressurize and engage the rear brake properly. there is about 20% effectiveness on braking and i have to extend the pedal all the way down. and that's after pumping like 10 times. first time i did some vigorous pumping while driving slowly i saw some liquid came out from the nipple and there was even some smoke from the caliper/pads (super hot). Now i took out some dot4 from the reservoir (overfilled was my suspicion), drove around - no overheating - but i could not get any feeling of braking. there are no warning lights and front brakes work perfectly.

any suggestions? air? reset the abs system by disconnecting the battery? a trip to the stealer? many thanks

Without a GS-911 probably better to take it to the dealer, hoping the master cylinder is not fecked up...............

''the old way (don't have the gs911 tool) with a syringe sucking the old fluid through the nipple''... why use a syringe?.. just pump it through pedal up, nipple open, pedal down, nipple closed.. let pedal back up keeping an eye on the level in the holder.... repeat until you get pressure?.. thats how I've done mine and I do have a GS911?

I’d say there was a problem before he started as the pedal was stuck down? JJH

maybe ? the rear brake pedal was simply hitting the bottom and not even coming back up. not sure what pulls it back.. is there a spring on it .. i guess there must be?

There is a return spring on the rear brake pedal, check it is still there. also lubricate the brake lever pivot bush.

ok crisis averted. i dropped the syringe use, took my time and bled the brakes slowly the old-fashioned way ("just pump it through pedal up, nipple open->container, pedal down, nipple closed.. let pedal back up keeping an eye on the level in the holder") . the pedal eventually got firmness and now i have rear brakes! thank you so much for your help and responses. I think the syringe was not keeping enough suction so i suspect some air leaked back in the caliper during the initial bleeding. i am planning to install the STAHLBUS valve to simplify the procedure next time. i read up and the rear brakes seem to be the weak spot on the LC models so i better get used to this DYI!

yes it is! slowly. btw i also kept the pedal jammed at the lowest point for over 8 hours (read it on the other forums that it might help...for the air to bubble up)

it will go off again over time.. for some reason they do.. I've put new fluid in mine and within 5K its well down again?... but a good old fasioned pump I've found is the best way to get it firm never mind all this sucking malarkey ;)

Back
Top Bottom