1150 GSA Fuel line leak?

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went to ride my GSA this morning.

Started it up, then went to back it out of the garage and I could smell petrol.

I looked down and there was a small leak on the RHS.

On closer inspection it seemed to be from where the forward hose from the tank (high pressure out?) joins/clamps to the smaller plastic(?) section that then bends 90° and goes inward forward of the airbox.

I was in a rush, so took my other bike.

When I came home a few hours later with the intention of taking a closer look to see what I might need to fix, the leak was no longer there and when starting the bike to test it stayed 'not there'.

Any ideas what could have caused it and does it sound familiar or odd?

Odd that it leaked, then didn't. The connector linking the LH and RH side of the tank fails (it did on my 1150 last month so replaced with metal connectors from Motorworks) Their website shows it is an 11mm pipe, they sent me the 'correct pipe' but that was 13mm...luckily i could re-use the original and the 13mm clips worked OK
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=30&Ct=FA&SbCt=BA_15_30_FA_90&spPage=2

FUA66735A 90 Male connector
TAA66736A Female part
COA60928 13mm reusable clip
TAA38115 11mm fuel line

Had the bike been parked up with only a low level of fuel in the tank?

Mine was parked up for a few weeks without much fuel and it must have been below the pump cover as the seal began leaking when I filled up. Fuel makes the seal swell so it slowly stopped leaking after a few miles/minutes and hasn’t done since then.

It may have been the same for your’s as the leaking fuel will work its way down towards the pipework/connectors you mentioned...

DaveB, thanks but it’s definitely not that - wrong line.

Paul, there’s over half a tank of petrol and I use it once or twice a week, so it’s not been left standing for any significant time

Just went out and started it again and no sign of a leak

Weird.

Gabriel IN all honesty Its worth replacing those buggers Now

Plastic is fine they will last another 10 plus years

I had 3 in last year that the connectors were brittle Its makes a helluva mess when the split under pressure !!

DaveB, thanks but it’s definitely not that - wrong line.

Odd, on my 03 GSA the only fuel pipe with a 90 degree angled connector is the one that crosses the bike and simply connects one side of the tank to the other.

Hey chap, again, not that line and I wasn’t talking about an angled connector - I’ll take a pic tomorrow to better explain:)

On closer inspection it seemed to be from where the forward hose from the tank (high pressure out?) joins/clamps to the smaller plastic(?) section that then bends 90° and goes inward forward of the airbox.

No worries, I was going by the description you put. Hope you get it sorted (or it doesn't rear its head again)
Dave

Yep, sorry DaveyB, re-reading my description it is a bit confusing...

So, this is not a picture of my bike... I found it on the interweb and I realise it also shows the fuel lines disconnected AND non-standard hose clamps, BUT the connection circled in red is where I 'think' I had the leak earlier today... though 3 times I've started the bike and can't replicate it...

fuel_line.jpg

And I do realise that's an 1100 too...

It's certainly possible that my quick inspection earlier when it was leaking was wrong and maybe it was dribbling from somewhere else, but I'm 95% sure it was front that point... but I have a history of being wrong... just ask my wife!

Nothing 'above' it seemed to be wet?

I went to ride my GSA this morning.

Started it up, then went to back it out of the garage and I could smell petrol.

I looked down and there was a small leak on the RHS.

I was in a rush, so took my other bike.

When I came home a few hours later with the intention of taking a closer look to see what I might need to fix, the leak was no longer there and when starting the bike to test it stayed 'not there'.

Any ideas what could have caused it and does it sound familiar or odd?

My we do all have short memories .. a few years ago this very problem was subject of a bmw recall - the metal clamps just needed “reclamping”. I think it’s reached a time span where this same problem is surfacing again because I’ve had two phone calls this week from customers with the same fuel leak problem.

Ah ok, so literally just need tighten or replace the clamp. Simples.

And good to know I’m not hallucinating!

Odd that it leaked, then didn't.

It’s not he connector - it’s where the solid fuel line pushes into the flexi-rubber hose. It sprays out petrol then stops. Easily fixed reclamping the hose clamps tighter using the special tool or with a pair of nail pliers/pullers.

Clamp crimped tighter. No leak as yet

Fingers crossed it’s solved

My 04 1150 GSA tank was removed and noticed one of the O rings had broken from fuel lines (motowrks: "Fuel line quick release connector plug O-ring | FUA59110") £1.97 each (!)

I ran and got some (what I thought identical ones) O rings, popped them on and checked bike. Now I wont embarrass myself and tell anyone reading that she pissed all over me, in eye, neck, mouth, patio...

So I've obviously messed up but I like to learn how to do things and how to not incase I ever could help or fix myself if stranded. I cant remember if it is one or two O ring that goes on the front and/or rear of each nipple that may of come off unnoticed, Anyone know? I need to know for each hose now. Should they all have two O rings on each connector nipple? They will not insert unless I take them o rings off and she just squirts everywhere.

I'll grab a pic if that helps this...

Thanks,

-A

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Take a pic - not 100% sure what you mean.

Essentially there’s an O-ring on the male connector - there’s an obvious ‘groove’ wherethe O-ring sits - Make sure it’s properly seated in that groove and make sure the metal ‘sleeve’ on the female connectpor is ‘clicked’ back/open before you try and push the 2 connectors together.

Thank you very much. I Will get you a pic... yes there is two grooves though that is the confusing thing as I didnt know if one had popped off unnoticed and the other failed on me

Take a pic - not 100% sure what you mean.

Essentially there’s an O-ring on the male connector - there’s an obvious ‘groove’ wherethe O-ring sits - Make sure it’s properly seated in that groove and make sure the metal ‘sleeve’ on the female connectpor is ‘clicked’ back/open before you try and push the 2 connectors together.
As you can see the O rings but there are also a place for other O rings
cd481c82c248e320e5efe422e75863a8.jpg
c8b3b00d15d964776e28e63174706d51.jpg
d3e2569a4c3e9cacfeb4284975985c32.jpg
f662a464577da33d8510b7a66f1e5de5.jpg

Yeah I think there should be 2 - also check that the existing ones don't have a cut/nick in them - it's easy to do when you reconnect them, and a tiny nip can cause them to still leak.

Yeah I think there should be 2 - also check that the existing ones don't have a cut/nick in them - it's easy to do when you reconnect them, and a tiny nip can cause them to still leak.
Great cheers, I'll double check as I'm fairly confident there wasnt two on each but didnt know whether they go to the rear or the front of the nipple as theres 2 grooves that look like they would house them, going up to BMW today to get them. I think they're about £2/3 each (?!) and the rubber universal o rings I had that looked the same didnt work so will just get the OEM ones now, lube them and report back.

Back
Top Bottom