rear brake pedal lift and extend

firemanphil

Reaction score
Any "gurus" out there extended the rear brake pedal footpad and lifted the lever? seems a bit low and a bit small (for me )............ebay have loads of extension plates for the 1200GS but not the 1250gs they look similar,however when you

email "China" with a simple question does it fit the 1250?............the reply "measure it"!!!! :mad: a simple yes/no would do. The German extension plates seem pricey for something that is rider "subjective" and a cheap one if i

doesn't work nothing much lost.I notice at the rear of the lever there is an adjustment nut/screw but the clearance to lift the lever is minimal and i don't want to mess up the braking. Advice please. I've just stuck 400 miles on

it this week so it's no big deal if i leave it.

Be very careful indeed adjusting the rear brake, I say this from experience. Mine seemed to have excessive travel, so I popped to a local mechanic and we adjusted the pedal travel (up). We were happy the pads were not worn and there were no leaks etc, it was just operating at an angle which seems quite low.

Big lesson learnt!!! I then went on a trip round scotland, and this is my prognosis...................whilst I was riding and it was cold(ish) and on steady roads, all was fine.......so I thought. then whilst riding when it was hotter, and I was slower and braking for the twisties, it then heated up.

When we stopped to fuel up and then traveled slowly the thing locked on, couldnt budge it. We had to lift the bike out of the road and wheel it on the front wheel.

I had cooked the disc and prob damaged the pads. I felt the bike was unridable after this, as when we then backed it off and I went for a trial run, without braking it was red hot again. I wasn't going to risk a further 1k mikes on it.

I still wonder what happened and can only come to the conclusion that the pads were in fact worn and hence the further pedal travel. It cost me a new disc and pads, and I asked them to change the fluid as part of a service anyway.

Any thoughts would be welcome as to what I did wrong, albeit I wont be adjusting these again.

Be very careful indeed adjusting the rear brake, I say this from experience. Mine seemed to have excessive travel, so I popped to a local mechanic and we adjusted the pedal travel (up). We were happy the pads were not worn and there were no leaks etc, it was just operating at an angle which seems quite low.

Big lesson learnt!!! I then went on a trip round scotland, and this is my prognosis...................whilst I was riding and it was cold(ish) and on steady roads, all was fine.......so I thought. then whilst riding when it was hotter, and I was slower and braking for the twisties, it then heated up.

When we stopped to fuel up and then traveled slowly the thing locked on, couldnt budge it. We had to lift the bike out of the road and wheel it on the front wheel.

I had cooked the disc and prob damaged the pads. I felt the bike was unridable after this, as when we then backed it off and I went for a trial run, without braking it was red hot again. I wasn't going to risk a further 1k mikes on it.

I still wonder what happened and can only come to the conclusion that the pads were in fact worn and hence the further pedal travel. It cost me a new disc and pads, and I asked them to change the fluid as part of a service anyway.

Any thoughts would be welcome as to what I did wrong, albeit I wont be adjusting these again.

I took mine to my dealer with excessive rear brake travel, they bled the brakes and all is good now.

I took mine to my dealer with excessive rear brake travel, they bled the brakes and all is good now.

Mine always had to be bled to cure excessive travel at service time . A few hundred miles later and it had the long travel again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Gilles brake and gear setup they are brilliant. Easy to adjust the rear brake length and travel without messing with the linkage.

Well for a couple of £££'s i am going to try my own adaptor and it looks promising,it will extend the pedal out "slightly" and "raise" the pedal around 13mm. The idea is to "sandwich" the end of the pedal with two small "jack pads" a bit like "Pontefract cakes" i have put one in place just to see what it looks like and await delivery of another...................so far looks pretty good and blends in well with the black lever. The "Heath Robinson" kit will grip the foot pedal cleats and be compressed with a "stainless steel" button screw/bolt and lock nut.Old folk have strange minds .:rob

IT WORKS !!! and it looks ok.,,,,,,,,raised the pedal 13mm or around 1/2 inch......................i'll test it out fully when this awful weather clears up.

You, or more to the point, your mechanic, simply adjusted the pedal too far. There is a physical stop between the pedal and frame which stops the pedal coming up any further, but if you keep turning the adjuster all you end up doing, is blocking of the tiny relief hole between the cylinder and reservoir. The purpose of this hole is two fold, 1 it allows brake fluid to enter the system as the pads wear down, 2 it allows fluid back into the reservoir as it heats up and therefore expands. This only happens when the pedal is released and the piston returns fully, as soon as you move the pedal a tiny amount, the piston covers the hole and seals the system. Your pedal was adjusted too far, blocking off the hole, so then when your pads and fluid got hot and expanded, their was no where for it to expand to, other than put further pressure on the pads, which then heats the disc and the cycle repeats.

If you had simply backed off the adjuster, the pressure would be able to relive back into the reservoir and you would have been good to go again.

Stu

:thumb2 Well i've just tried the brake pedal mod out (70miles or so ) and it's brilliant,no more bending my foot over. The 13mm lift has worked out a treat, it is so easy just to tip my foot forward and i'm square on the pedal. i don't use it often ( steep downhills usually) but the feel is very positive and for £5/6 "tops".

Back
Top Bottom