Oil level question

glenn.1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was about to change the oil on my 08 GS and noticed while the engine was running the oil level was at the centre of the check window.... left to cool for 10 mins and the oil was still in the middle .., that don’t seem right to me ... as oil gets pumped into the cylinder heads.. the sump level should drop ... I thought!!!

If you just ran it from cold for a few minutes, then there's a good chance a lot of oil hasn't yet let the oil cooler...yet

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

oil should be round the engine and cooler within 10 seconds of starting the bike. however, it should be noted the level window is checked with the engine off, but shortly after running the engine, not in the morning after being off for 12hrs

I think the manual says 3.5 litres incl filter, however I always get 3.8 litres in and its just shy of the upper mark of the window (air still visible) as that's the norm for the last 5 changes.... I just bung 4 litres in these days and be done with it. Especially after one long hot trip where it ate 0.8 of litre over 800 miles... funny, as its never used a drop before or since in the other 22k miles I've done on it

Don’t worry about when you check the level, just be consistent and always check it at the same time i.e. always before you start the engine, or always 10 minutes after switching it off. As long as you can see oil in the window you’re ok.

Back
Top Bottom