Odd fault - Oil level indicator on dash

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has had this? I normally check the eye glass on the sump before going off on a ride, at least once a week anyway, but note on the info that comes up on the lcd dash that the oil level usually says "OK" once the engine's up to temperature as long as the bike's stationary and the side stand is retracted. Yesterday, I noted that there were just three dashes, and no level was registering. I did have to top the oil up as the bike was run in on fully synth up until I took it over at 5K miles and uses a small amount. I had an oil change done when I bought it, and changed final drive oil for good measure. The bike needed about 150mL oil to top it up to where the level was when I last checked 500 miles back, which doesn't seem unreasonable for a bike still needing running in. Read the handbook and all it tells you are the conditions to be met before the level will register on the dash. Had fault codes read when leaving it in for a software update last week and no faults recorded then, so no sensor faults have been thrown up. Any ideas?

Dashboards sometimes have a mind of their own.

The sight glass is all that matters. If I see oil in the red circle then I know all is well.

The level moves up and down with the weather.

If the sight glass tells me all is well at night and there’s no puddle of oil on the floor next morning, then I know I can jump on and ride.

Ignore the dash. Unless you hit a rock and ripped a hole in your sump.

Same logic as tyre pressure indicator - it’s just a Puncture Alarm. A good one too, as I can testify a few times.

when you read the manual, did you note you should be checking the oil with the bike on the main stand, 5 mins after a ride, whilst the engine is still hot?

again, in the manual under display, 3 dashes means you are not meeting all 4 conditions for operation of the sensor:
Engine at operating temperature
Engine idling for at least ten
seconds
Side stand retracted
Motorcycle standing vertically
on a level surface.

Yes, I read the manual back to front after buying the bike. Everything done properly, still no oil reading on dash. It's fitted, so is more an annoyance as if fitted, it should work. I check the oil level in the sight glass at least weekly. I'll be changing the oil and filter at 9K miles anyway as I've always used 3K oil intervals after the first oil change until I'm happy the bike's fully run in.

My only thoughts are this started to happen after the software update to the ECU, so may be a software glitch. I'll get them to check it when the bike next goes in for its 12K service.

Back
Top Bottom