Problems with locking keyless fuel cap

fred_jb

Reaction score
Anybody else had issues with this? While away on my latest trip on my 1250 GS I started having problems with it being impossible to latch after a fill up. I had to leave it unlocked a couple of times, but then found if I wiggled the little silver part inside the opening it would move a little and I could then get it to latch. Now working again, but still very stiff and requires what I regard as excessive force on the lid before it clicks and latches. Could have been something to do with the high temps while i was away, but seems much more difficult to use than on the last bike.

I found that unless I lifted the latch and pressed hard when closing the lid, sometimes the bloody thing won't open next time. Mild anxiety in a filling station in darkest France when I first experienced that.

I found that unless I lifted the latch and pressed hard when closing the lid, sometimes the bloody thing won't open next time. Mild anxiety in a filling station in darkest France when I first experienced that.

I have been doing that from the beginning, I thought it was the normal way to close it, dealer told me at the beginning not to force it close, he showed me this way, so I carried on, not had any problems this way, maybe Fred just has a faulty latch.

Might be a common issue on some machines

Attachments

• 161AA222-D692-4F2E-AF57-616684802E30.jpg
    161AA222-D692-4F2E-AF57-616684802E30.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1,870

Yes, I had the same fear, which is why I didn't force it - would rather ride with it unlocked that not be able to open it next time!

I always hold the latch up when I try to close it because that retracts the little interlock tongue thingy which is supposed to go into a recess in the top of the filler neck once the lid is closed. The problem was that it was not seating enough to allow the interlock to go into its recess when the latch is released. The part which seemed to be stopping it was a small round silver piece which I think maybe is part of the electronically operated lock which stops it being opened with the ignition turned on. My suspicion is that this is not moving far enough from its locked position to allow the thing to shut. I think the click I now hear when pressing hard to close it is this piece being forced back, when it should not be in the way if working correctly. Probably means it will break sooner or later.

Yes, I had the same fear, which is why I didn't force it - would rather ride with it unlocked that not be able to open it next time!

I always hold the latch up when I try to close it because that retracts the little interlock tongue thingy which is supposed to go into a recess in the top of the filler neck once the lid is closed. The problem was that it was not seating enough to allow the interlock to go into its recess when the latch is released. The part which seemed to be stopping it was a small round silver piece which I think maybe is part of the electronically operated lock which stops it being opened with the ignition turned on. My suspicion is that this is not moving far enough from its locked position to allow the thing to shut. I think the click I now hear when pressing hard to close it is this piece being forced back, when it should not be in the way if working correctly. Probably means it will break sooner or later.

If I remember correctly Fred there is some sort of timer on the fuel latch, so maybe by leaving it open it has lost its timing, just a thought in simple terms.

If I remember correctly Fred there is some sort of timer on the fuel latch, so maybe by leaving it open it has lost its timing, just a thought in simple terms.

Yes, after the ignition is switched off you only have a certain amount of time to open it otherwise it locks. When i picked my bike up i was shown how to open it by pressing down on the cap BEFORE you lift the latch otherwise its likely to break.

Yes, after the ignition is switched off you only have a certain amount of time to open it otherwise it locks. When i picked my bike up i was shown how to open it by pressing down on the cap BEFORE you lift the latch otherwise its likely to break.

That's interesting, but I don't have a problem with opening it, it is closing that is the problem. I can see how pressing down would make it slightly easier to lift the latch when opening, but having examined the mechanism I doubt that not doing so would cause damage.

I do that - press down it as I lift the catch. Do it without thinking now. On balance, I'd still rather have keyless. I've left keys inside by the card machine in the past.

Do you have a tankbag adapter ring on the filler cap surround? Its easy to over torque the bolts which stops the cap from opening cleanly....

Do you have a tankbag adapter ring on the filler cap surround? Its easy to over torque the bolts which stops the cap from opening cleanly....

I did exactly that, but felt the ideal torque to allow easiest opening was too loose, so tightened a tad more and it's a pain to close, but just needs a good whack.

No I don't. I don't think they are good idea due to the strain they put on the threaded inserts in the plastic fuel tank.

I push down around the edge then lift flap and it pops open. Closing is the same. I lift flap, apply pressure around the edge and then let the flap go and it’s never caused an issue. These are not designed to be just pushed closed I think as there is to much resistance. Maybe that’s why there are issues :nenau

Jon

I push down around the edge then lift flap and it pops open. Closing is the same. I lift flap, apply pressure around the edge and then let the flap go and it’s never caused an issue. These are not designed to be just pushed closed I think as there is to much resistance. Maybe that’s why there are issues :nenau

Jon

Exactly what I do, but in this instance on closing I could feel that even with harder than usual pressure the cap wasn't going flush with the surround as it should, so when I released the latch it wasn't engaging.

I've had another play with this today, and unless mine really is broken there does not seem to be any automatic timeout on the electronic locking. It only appears to lock electronically when the steering lock is activated.

It is still requiring a harder push than previously to seat the cap enough for the flap to go into its locked position and it makes a loud click when doing so, which is nothing to do with the flap as the noise happens before I try to move that.

Might have to give in and resort to reading the manual and see what this has to say on the subject, though having had no problems with this on my previous bike, it seems a sad state of affairs to now have to consult the manual about opening the fuel cap!

:surrender

OK - I've now RTFM'd!

The electronic timeout only applies if not within range of the keyless fob, otherwise it only locks when the steering lock is applied.

There is no mention of pushing down on the cap before lifting the tab when opening, it just says to open the tab slowly.

Similarly there is no mention of holding the tab open while closing - it just says press down firmly on the filler cap, though it does say that the cap will engage with an audible click.

So, still a mystery as to why mine would not click shut even with very heavy pressure on the cap while I was away. The only thing I can think of is that some tolerances on mine are a bit marginal and it was affected by the heat.

Back
Top Bottom