Tools de-rustify ?

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Rather annoyingly my tool roll got damp. Even more annoyingly it then festered for a few weeks before I discovered it :blast so I've now got well crusted tools. As its a decent tool roll (Santa Cruz) I'd rather recover the tools. Cant see any way of getting into all the awkward angles with sand paper or similar so I was wondering about getting the tools sandblasted. Unless anyone's got a better suggestion? Or a worse one :eyebrow

Rather annoyingly my tool roll got damp. Even more annoyingly it then festered for a few weeks before I discovered it :blast so I've now got well crusted tools. As its a decent tool roll (Santa Cruz) I'd rather recover the tools. Cant see any way of getting into all the awkward angles with sand paper or similar so I was wondering about getting the tools sandblasted. Unless anyone's got a better suggestion? Or a worse one :eyebrow

Drop into diluted brick cleaner, or vinegar should remove the rust.

Vinegar should work OK, after getting the worst off with a wire brush.

Then dunk them all in some thin oil or ATF for a while, before drying off. Then a light spray with WD40/similar & leave to dry off naturally before repacking the cleaned up tool-roll.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd done a bit of research and found this product but I'll give the vinegar a go as that waaay cheaper :D !!

diluted spirit of salts (Hydrochloric acid) then wash and soak in oil, wipe off. Used to buy old tools from car boots etc as I couldnt afford new ones and always had to clean them up

diluted spirit of salts (Hydrochloric acid) then wash and soak in oil, wipe off. Used to buy old tools from car boots etc as I couldnt afford new ones and always had to clean them up

Yep, what he said:thumb2

I would be interested in learning the age of the OP. I could be wildly off the mark here but it would be interesting to see if this is a generation induced ignorance (in the true sense of the word, no offence). When I was a youngster, my Dad or Grandad would have (and did!, and do!) pass down all these types of experience won pearls of wisdom. Just my 2p.

Were they in the Touratech tool kit holder box thingy that sits inside the pannier rails?? If so, the same thing happened to mine even though I thought I had sealed it with silicon for the 2nd friggin' time!!

Were they in the Touratech tool kit holder box thingy that sits inside the pannier rails?? If so, the same thing happened to mine even though I thought I had sealed it with silicon for the 2nd friggin' time!!

I put all my bits in zip lock type bags inside the Touratech tool box, I didn’t bother with a tool roll as it takes up too much space.

I drilled a drain hole in mine rather than try to seal

Sodablasting is safer/better than grit. My preference is to use acf50 rather than wd40.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yeah have used ACF50 for this kind of thing in the past but that stuff has an unbelievable ability to stay on your fingers and then lubricate everything you touch which isn't always convenient....
Have got some of this inbound to try, it came out pretty well in tests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5LSxpoqcWo

Yes they wil get condensation in and sealing them prevents ventilation of the moisture

If you want them to look good, and not rust and not be oily, get them to your nearest zinc plater,

It’s cheap to do and is the finish they would have had originally.

All my tools have signs of rust on them, I have to do lots of stuff in the rain or under a crappy carport so everything gets wet or damp.

Back
Top Bottom