Quiet helmet

Sootyvandriver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I have over the years managed to damage my hearing and now have some hearing loss and tinnitus.

Most of it is probably work related (Power Stations and construction industry) although I am sure motorcycles, shooting and music has also played a part. My fault entirely.

Can I at this point encourage everyone to take hearing protection seriously, it really isn't nice to lose even a small amount of your hearing, and tinnitus is a right bastard.

Lecture over, Problem number two is that wearing ear plugs on the bike gives me ear infections, clean and new plugs each time but 3 infections this year now and a fourth just starting I think.
My Caberg flip helmet is quite noisy and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement that's quiet enough to be able to safely go without ear protection. I realise different helmets suit people depending on any number of factors, but are any brands particularly known for being quiet?

Cheers all

Hi,

I have over the years managed to damage my hearing and now have some hearing loss and tinnitus.

Most of it is probably work related (Power Stations and construction industry) although I am sure motorcycles, shooting and music has also played a part. My fault entirely.

Can I at this point encourage everyone to take hearing protection seriously, it really isn't nice to lose even a small amount of your hearing, and tinnitus is a right bastard.

Lecture over, Problem number two is that wearing ear plugs on the bike gives me ear infections, clean and new plugs each time but 3 infections this year now and a fourth just starting I think.
My Caberg flip helmet is quite noisy and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement that's quiet enough to be able to safely go without ear protection. I realise different helmets suit people depending on any number of factors, but are any brands particularly known for being quiet?

Cheers all

Eh?? :nenau

Sorry, being flippant there:D Have you tried a Schuberth?? Supposed to be one of the quietest on the market?
Avoid carbon helmets, what they save in weight they sacrifice to noise.

If you get custom ear plugs, you can't mix them up and cross infect.

Don't lick then put in your ear either.

Most flip ups will be too noisy, sports helmets like the Rx7 are also loud; so a touring helmet will probably be best option.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Shoei GT Air (first incarnation not the GT Air 2) is the quietest helmet I have worn and believe me I have tested and worn a lot.

I was told that flip front helmets are intrinsically quieter as there is a better seal around the neck. In my experience Schuberth is certainly quieter than Shoei and Arai in full face designs.

I tried a BMW helmet on Friday, good fit, comfortable but the windguard piece fell out so that put me off somewhat.

I was told that flip front helmets are intrinsically quieter as there is a better seal around the neck......

Contrary to my understanding
A good full face is what you need. I favour Shoei, my RYD Is great. As ever, fit is all

A lot of wind noise can be generated by a incorrectly adjusted screen. Someone posted recently that his helmet was less noisy on a naked bike. I wear a system 7 while riding a 1200RT. Going trough the large range of adjustment screen lowest setting= Fairly quiet middle range=quite noisy and at top of its adjustment almost silent. That’s about 6 inches above my head. Everyone will report different experiences as seat height your and seating position will make a difference. Also no 2 heads are exactly the same and helmets only come in a certain range of sizes so unless you are going for a custom fit you might not get the same benefit as another person. And of course nobody lets you bring a helmet for a test ride that I know of. JJH

Surely there has been a government test equivalent to the sharp impact for noise/sound, whether that’s the UK, US or possibly the EU.

Surely there has been a government test equivalent to the sharp impact for noise/sound, whether that’s the UK, US or possibly the EU.

I’ve never came across one. It would be very difficult to do as it would be so hard to control the real world use. JJH

I’ve never came across one. It would be very difficult to do as it would be so hard to control the real world use. JJH
But fuel consumption or helmet test are only giving a baseline, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get x mpg on the road.

A 5☆ helmet should out perform a 3☆ one, a standard test for noise would at least give you a starting point, the problem would be that it is measured logarithmically rather than linear the difference which may not be apparent to some.

It would at least get manufacturers thinking about noise reduction design.

I use both a Scuberth C3 and a C4 and imho whilst both are quite neither should be used without additional ear protection. My advise would be to buy a box of 200 pairs, foam earplugs for approx £20. Use once only & make sure hands are clean when fitting. If it’s the foam causing the infection then try wax plugs, cost more but worth it to protect your ears.

But fuel consumption or helmet test are only giving a baseline, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get x mpg on the road.

A 5☆ helmet should out perform a 3☆ one, a standard test for noise would at least give you a starting point, the problem would be that it is measured logarithmically rather than linear the difference which may not be apparent to some.

It would at least get manufacturers thinking about noise reduction design.

We all know mpg figures are meaningless. Honest John does a good comparison chart claimed v actual. Some claims are out by 10% some by considerably more. Noise tests on a test rig would give some kind of idea but I would suggest that the variables are greater than what would influence mpg. JJH

I swim a lot, so wear ear plugs in the water, as well as on the bike, but get the occasional ear infection.

I probably don’t change ear plugs as often as I should, but make sure I regularly clean my ears properly, using this stuff:

https://www.boots.com/health-pharma...euticals-dual-action-ear-wax-remover-10114200

I’ve tried most of the main brand “quiet” helmets, and all of them required ear plugs, to keep the noise down.

We all know mpg figures are meaningless. Honest John does a good comparison chart claimed v actual. Some claims are out by 10% some by considerably more. Noise tests on a test rig would give some kind of idea but I would suggest that the variables are greater than what would influence mpg. JJH
But they are all the same meaningless, the test maybe shite, but if car A does 80mpg and car B does 60mpg, it gives you somewhere to start.

Look how helmet manufacturers have upped their standards to get better ratings, some just be strengthening the areas of test, others by making better helmets overall.

It would be a start, nothing more.

If all motorcycle shops had a bike rigged up in front of a huge fan..... JJH

I've found the best I've owned to be the older Aria Quantums, and I like just about every Shoei I've tried which are known for their quiet designs. Add to that the Shark Spartan Carbon (a recent purchase) which is the best Shark yet imho for quietness, thanks to great fit, padding and not a lot sticking out from the helmet to cause turbulence. I am told also that one in particular to look for is the Shoei GT Air 3 Pro if you can find one to try. The 4 isn't as good.. I suffer tinnitus brought on by years of shooting and probably started by my time as a serving soldier in the days when hearing protection was an afterthought. I don't like wearing ear plugs and most get uncomfortable after a while but one set, relatively inexpensive, that I tried were a revelation...you don't know you're wearing them and they are very effective:

Alpine Hearing Protection Motosafe plugs

I can thoroughly recommend these. I don't really need them wearing the Shark Spartan but they do eliminate noise to background level if I do, and as the Shark has cut-outs in the linings by the ears for comms, the plugs remain all day comfy to wear and even come in a handy pouch that you can attach to your key rings. However, a lot depends on the interaction of helmet design and bike riding position with fairing. Some bikes' fairings create turbulence so bad that even quiet lids struggle to keep things comfortable, and where even no fairing is better. If you're of a height that this is a problem, it's sometimes better to lower the fairing so you get no turbulence on the helmet and it quietens right down.

Generally speaking, Schuberth make the "quiter" helmets. They're tested and designed literally based around wind noise in particular. This being said... we have had many complaints about them being noisy too which I can only assume is because people are expecting them to be super quiet from the advertising Schuberth do. This being said, the quiter helmet for yourself will be the one that fits the best as simple as it sounds. Preferably go for a full face apposed to a flip helmet as the gaps in flip helmets often are the cause of the noise. My personal suggestion would be something like a Shoei RYD/Shoei NXR/ Shark Spartan but it wll really depend on what fits you best. Try going for full face, and something which as much coverage around the bottom of the helmet as possible.

Back
Top Bottom