Bit of airhead gearbox help please

33cbe96cc165d34157841b8ec8af0e61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brill, thanks - was kinda overthinking it there. The Haynes says I have to undo all the engine fasteners and move the engine forward and to one side to remove the gearbox - is this correct?

I normally just remove swingarm pins and pull the swingarm back an inch or two

It only needs to come back an inch to clear the clutch plate

Oh Back an inch or so rotate 100 ish degrees unclip the wires from Neutral Switch

Wiggle and woggle ( The box not you!!!) and

it should come back,

right

and out to the right

reasonably easy

EDIT Just spotted clutch arm still in pic

Undo clutch cable and the Clutch arm pivot bolt and lift off the arm, the Boot, the Spring and any bits you can get out of the orifice!

with a bit of luck the pushrod might move back easy for you (Yeah right!! Like that only ever happens in the movies!! )

But Once the box moves back and it is free, you can get a little extra room by withdrawing the pushrod a bit

and get it out as soon as you can to prevent the rod getting damaged or bent

I normally just remove swingarm pins and pull the swingarm back an inch or two

It only needs to come back an inch to clear the clutch plate

Oh Back an inch or so rotate 100 ish degrees unclip the wires from Neutral Switch

Wiggle and woggle ( The box not you!!!) and

it should come back,

right

and out to the right

reasonably easy

Ah ok - that’s great advice, thanks, fist time working on an airhead! I’ll do that then as I wasn’t really looking forward to moving the engine from it’s location - I’ll wiggle wiggle woggle it out! And yeah I’ve noted the neutral switch wires!

And then it’s the grand opening lol - after some trawling there seems to be a spring that can break (causing the gear change problem) and I’m hoping that it’s easily accessible and replaced.

Thanks - the clutch arm HAS been removed (old photo) tho the Haynes did say to leave the pushrod in place whilst removing the box from the engine?

I’m presuming the spring (which it might be) is one on the left of the box?
4013d59fc4636734720e1ebedce234e7.jpg

Top tip: On an old 80/7 I removed the complicated gear linkage and placed the gear lever directly onto the splines, worked ok for me :nenau

What, no one is going to mention the colour of that oil while we are at it? :D

Looks like the "all purpose" gravy they serve up in my local cafe!

Seriously, looks like water contamination, stick a new speedo drive grommet on while you are at it (the usual cause of contamination and rusted out layshaft bearings)

Seriously, looks like water contamination, stick a new speedo drive grommet on while you are at it (the usual cause of contamination and rusted out layshaft bearings)

I did notice but then looked at the date on the photo and reckoned it was a "stock photo" off t'internet

Very good suggestion but it’s a library image just to illustrate what I expect to find!

Yes it most certainly is! Just to illustrate what I expect to find when I do get it off!

Well spank me till I’m rosy red - check this gearbox ‘oil’ out! Also, work has now stopped until I get a 27mm box spanner to remove the swinging arm. Big job this, gearbox out. And yes the 10mm ring spanner does the drive shaft!
2781017e9b9eb232f1ee02ac49a0da43.jpg
4660378ac2da60a6c5919febfb1d1228.jpg
c7463d63d3b77be1a6c10f9fbec7001c.jpg

Well spank me till I’m rosy red - check this gearbox ‘oil’ out!

The rubber boot at the gearbox on the speedo cable is a good guess as the culprit for letting in water

Good thing is there does not seem to be a huge amount of sparkles in there

A wee half litre of atf or paraffin wash might be a good call if the motor still runs ? Cleans and lubricates parts that can now rust that you have broken the seal so to speak

Also, work has now stopped until I get a 27mm box spanner to remove the swinging arm.

Stick any 27mm socket in the lathe (Preferably a six sided one rather than a bi-hex) and just remove the required excess to allow the socket to fit in there

Those nuts are not as tight as the pivot bolt nuts on the 11XXs

The rubber boot at the gearbox on the speedo cable is a good guess as the culprit for letting in water

Good thing is there does not seem to be a huge amount of sparkles in there

A wee half litre of atf or paraffin wash might be a good call if the motor still runs ? Cleans and lubricates parts that can now rust that you have broken the seal so to speak

Stick any 27mm socket in the lathe (Preferably a six sided one rather than a bi-hex) and just remove the required excess to allow the socket to fit in there

Those nuts are not as tight as the pivot bolt nuts on the 11XXs

Massive thanks pal

The 11xx pivot bolts had super strong Locktite on the threads, sometimes you needed a oxy torch to heat them enough to break the bond.

The 11xx pivot bolts had super strong Locktite on the threads, sometimes you needed a oxy torch to heat them enough to break the bond.

Ok thanks for that - 27mm box spanner expected this week - I’ll apply some heat!

I have two 27mm sockets both of which fit the swinging arm nuts without modification and I’ve never found the nuts very tight.

I have two 27mm sockets both of which fit the swinging arm nuts without modification and I’ve never found the nuts very tight.

Ah bugger - mebbe i should’ve just scrounged one!

Back
Top Bottom