My GS is burning oil

Thank you all very much for all replies. So from what I've gathered here I can understand that every GS is different. I'm glad to know that there is no reason for panic and maybe like some of you suggest maybe my bike hasn't been properly run in. Previous owner must have been too gentle with it and so am I actually. I will try to give it some more revs and make it work for its money! Once again thank you very much.

As already mentioned be consistent with your checks. I check mine from cold and if there is oil in the glass it's good to go and that has served me well for 12 years and 150,000 miles.

Some people get too bloody anal about it and are terrified when it's dropped by 2mm and then top it up when it's not needed. I'd love to know how many are running about with far too much oil in the motor.

Mine has rarely used any oil between services in all that time except when I've been in extreme heat i.e above 40c and then I forgive her for drinking a bit.

oil 1200gs 11 tc

Bought mine 2 years ago and it had done 10000 miles TC engine, had the same thing sometimes could smell oil, due to all the previous comments etc I am not sure if I over filled it. Now after owning the bike for a couple of years and got to know what they are like they tend to use about 500ml of oil every 2 thousand miles. Check after a long ride, don't worry if it is not right on the sight glass as long as you can see a bit she will be right, never smell oil now but service the bike IAW BMW schedule and drain the oil and remove filter while the engine is warm after a long ride and leave for at least a couple of hours. After you have replaced the oil filter etc, fill the engine with oil slowly to the correct level on the centre stand on level ground (TC) 4 Litres max but would always fill to about 3700 ml due to oil on engine components etc and check later after a good ride.

Back
Top Bottom