My GS is burning oil

Tonguska

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

To start I would like to say that I have been following this forum for a few months and this is my first topic so hello again to all of you. Onto my problem...

I have bought my 1st 2011 GS from a dealer 2 months ago with 28000 miles on clock and I LOVE IT. In first month of owning the bike I have done 2000 miles and one trip to France. On that trip I have noticed that i am running low on oil and eventually a warning light with oil icon came came out. I topped it up with around 500ml of oil. Now 1500 miles later I can see again that my oil level is low and I will have to top it up soon. I am 100% positive that there is no oil leak anywhere but sometimes, especially when riding in town I can smell something what I think is burned oil (not quite sure but it stinks). I never rev hard my bike and usually just cruise along the motorways to work and back if that is any helpful.

Is that normal with those bikes? I`ve read on this forum few mixed opinions that range from people saying that it is not good all the way to people saying that it is completely normal.

Thank you for any advices.

They tend to burn a bit of oil. Some more some less. Different theory’s abound why. I’ve had a few that didn’t burn a lot of it. I don’t give my bikes an easy life commuting all year round. Some say the running in period is important. If too gentle they end up using oil. Also the oil itself. I’m not starting or contributing to a debate on oil. JJH

Do do leave it on the side stand all the time? I recall I once smelling some oil after I left mine on it..
More help will be along soon

Sent from my Moto G6

I leave it on side stand over night. At work I have more space to park and I use central stand.

Just my tuppence worth - and won't help with you bike burning oil or not, but I also recently bought a 2011 bike which is also my first GS.

The guy I got it from gave me some information on how to check the oil level "properly" so as not to get a false reading. He said....

1) Make sure the bike is properly warm - run it for 20 miles or so.
2) Leave it on the side stand for at least 5 minutes to allow oil to drain out of the oil cooler. And only then....
3) Put it on the centre stand, leave it another 5 minutes and then check the oil in the sight glass.
4) Make sure the oil is no more than 2/3 of the way up the sight glass at this point.

Seems to work OK for me! Although it did take a while to settle on the final oil level when I serviced the bike recently.

Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil at all really. But I think there is something to how you run bikes in - especially how you "set" the piston rings. I didn't run this bike in obviously, but with other new bikes I have had I always use the infamous "Motoman" (google it) method of break in and I have never had a bike that burns oil.

My first thought is, where do you think the oil level should be? Middle of the sight glass is optimum. But then I remember you say the oil warning light came on - that's not good btw.

So I think you should perhaps look at the main, primary plugs. See how they look. Based on what you're saying I'd expect them to be oily/sooty/ black-ish.

Saying all that. With the low miles on such a young bike - I have the same year, almost same mileage btw - I'd be surprised if they're was really anything wrong?

Edit:
A couple of other points. 1. As already suggested there's a method for reading the oil level 'by the book'. 2. If cold there will be some oil not showing in the sight glass because the oil cooler valve hasn't opened, so done off the oil is stuck in that loop- I'm assuming the 1200 is much like the 1150 in this detail.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I checked the oil every so often. The method I used was pull up to pump dismount place bike on center stand. Fill up and go in and pay. Come back and check level. JJH

Just come back in from a ride where the bike has had time to get up too its working temp 5 bars on Temp gauge for maybe 5 or 10 mins riding NOT just sitting idling in the Yard :rob

Never Ever Leave a Boxer twin idling and think you will be right back !!! :blast

2) Leave it on the side stand for at least 5 minutes to allow oil to drain out of the oil cooler. And only then....
Take your lid and gloves and gear off 5 mins? 10 mins? 15? it doesn't really matter

3) Put it on the centre stand, leave it another 5 minutes and then check the oil in the sight glass.

Half a minute is fine as its just levelling out in the oil sump and showing a line on the sight glass

4) Make sure the oil is no more than 2/3 of the way up the sight glass at this point

1/2 way is FINE!!! Just don't top up to full each and every time you check the bike

THAT is why it is Burning oil! You keep giving it some to burn or vapourise!

These things will find a natural point where they stop burning off oil But If you religiously top up every time its a mm below the higher mark of course it will appear to be burning oil

Since practising what I preach I find that my 1200 would only use a 1/2 litre max between services

I don't know what was the oil level when I bought it. My mistake. First time I had to top it up it was barely visible in the glass, and I am talking about few hours of running the engine while coming back from France so I'm sure it was warmed up well. So after that episode I gave it some oil up to 3/4. Now 1500 miles later its 1/4 of the glass again.
I would kot be worried about one mm less :))) But we are talking about almost a litre in almost 4000miles.

Your bikes apparent oil consumption is insignificant compared to what others report. I’d ride it check the oil every 1000 miles or so don’t over fill it when topping up and don’t get carried away when buying oil. If you use the latest synthetic 5/30 oil it will be burnt. Shit it looks like I’ve got sucked in. JJH

Your bikes apparent oil consumption is insignificant compared to what others report. I’d ride it check the oil every 1000 miles or so don’t over fill it when topping up and don’t get carried away when buying oil. If you use the latest synthetic 5/30 oil it will be burnt. Shit it looks like I’ve got sucked in. JJH
You have

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I don't know what was the oil level when I bought it. My mistake. First time I had to top it up it was barely visible in the glass, and I am talking about few hours of running the engine while coming back from France so I'm sure it was warmed up well. So after that episode I gave it some oil up to 3/4. Now 1500 miles later its 1/4 of the glass again.
I would kot be worried about one mm less :))) But we are talking about almost a litre in almost 4000miles.

Did you leave it on the sidestand for a while before Setting it on the Centre stand and checking levels ?

I have no magic wand but Do or get a service done and put in the the magic value 3.8 litres (with new filter ((why would you not fit a new filter :eek)) ) and go for a run on it and see where it sits !

Just my tuppence worth - and won't help with you bike burning oil or not, but I also recently bought a 2011 bike which is also my first GS.

The guy I got it from gave me some information on how to check the oil level "properly" so as not to get a false reading. He said....

4) Make sure the oil is no more than 2/3 of the way up the sight glass at this point.

Seems to work OK for me! Although it did take a while to settle on the final oil level when I serviced the bike recently.

Mine doesn't seem to burn any oil at all really. But I think there is something to how you run bikes in - especially how you "set" the piston rings. I didn't run this bike in obviously, but with other new bikes I have had I always use the infamous "Motoman" (google it) method of break in and I have never had a bike that burns oil.

Feck me what a palaver. Just check it in the morning after it's stood all night, or before you use it if it's stood all week. The main thing is to be consistent on when you do check it.
As long as you can see oil in the sight glass don't worry.

Feck me what a palaver. Just check it in the morning after it's stood all night, or before you use it if it's stood all week. The main thing is to be consistent on when you do check it.

Mine used tons when i went to Strontian, it was full when i set off, and empty when i returned, i rekon the neds stole some while was asleep ;)

I just leave my 2011 GSA on the centre stand over night - have a quick look into the sight glass on a morning and if its still in the middle, jobs a good 'un

only a few times on a long run, the oil level low indicator on the digi display has come on. (not the oil pressure warning light)
It needs a small amount to bring it back to nominal - (500ml is shitloads too much.)
As mine is a GSA I have a little oil bottle in the secret stash area behind the tank for just these occasions.

And to really put your mind at rest - sometimes mine also smells like its buring oil somewhere, or its dripping onto a hot exhaust, but it isnt - just the nature iof the beastie!

ride and enjoy

good advice

note that level if left on side stand and level if only on centrestand can be different. do same thing each time and you cna work out how often to top up. can vary widely btw bikes

If it is using oil, it may be that the rings never bedded in very well (as others have mentioned).
I'd be tempted to drop the oil and filter, and replace with a basic mineral oil. Then go out and thrash it... Full throttle and lots of load. Do this on and off for a good few miles (maybe 1k) and see if things improve.
I rescued an oil burner like that... Not as many miles on it as yours though.

If not, just keep a stock of cheap oil and top up as necessary

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Found short trips usually increase oil consumption as well. Have done some longer runs 300+ days for best part of 6000 miles never used a drop. But couple of weeks of 25/30 mile days (work) and oil need topping up. Just a thought.

It would not surprise me if the bike needs some brsk riding to finish bedding in the rings and liners. 28,000 mile since 2011 might indicate the previous owner rode sedately. My 2011 bike with almost 120k kms uses hardly any oil. I put 4 litres in when I change the filter, level can be just out of top of glass. I think I added some oil halfway between changes but if I did, it was only a drop. Using fully synthetic.

Back
Top Bottom