Restoration of a 1990 R100gs

Hello Chopper Harris

Names of companies which will reline the drum and offer the services to which you refer would probably be appreciated by many readers. Please post.

If anyone proceeds along the lines I have suggested, I would be interested to know if they have also had the same positive results which I have had so please let me know.

It took a while to find a receipt from 14 years ago, but here it is - £32 inc VAT for relining with 6mm friction material.

IMG-3413.jpg

I cannot find a company with the name 'Pace Automotive' in the North West.

As I stated above, just google for 'ferodo brake lining repair' and you will find a local agent.

Hello Chopper Harris

Names of companies which will reline the drum and offer the services to which you refer would probably be appreciated by many readers. Please post.

If anyone proceeds along the lines I have suggested, I would be interested to know if they have also had the same positive results which I have had so please let me know.

It took a while to find a receipt from 14 years ago, but here it is - £32 inc VAT for relining with 6mm friction material.

IMG-3413.jpg

I cannot find a company with the name 'Pace Automotive' in the North West.

As I stated above, just google for 'ferodo brake lining repair' and you will find a local agent.

Bearing Up

A question for those who may be interested:-

Are BMW OEM swingarm bearings (not FD to swingarm bearings) pre greased?

Those familiar with these bearings will know that the are effectively sealed (although they do come with a separate dust cap) and removing the inner race to assess whether they are greased could cause damage to the rollers.

Tip?? :- Haynes states that the bearings are non-serviceable (but then gives contrary advice) and Clymer is silent on the point (as far as I can see). BMW were unable to confirm the position (but said it was 95% sure that the bearing would be pregreased) and I have in the past used pattern bearings which were pregreased (surprisingly with a white grease which resembled (and smelt like staburags paste - no comments please)) so thought I would ask the wider community.

Anyone got a definitive answer?

By the way if anyone wants to know how to easily remove the outer races - a bit of heat and an appropriately sized internal bearing puller makes the job very easy indeed.

I bought as follows from ebay about 9 months ago:

16pc Inner Bearing Blind Hole Remover Extractor Puller Set Pilot Bushes Housing
Item price £35.99

Made the job of removal very easy indeed - although the soporific effect of Test Match Special in the background should not of course be disregarded!

Informative replies would be most appreciated.

Brakes

I used Classic Brake Services in Whaley Bridge to reline the rear drum on a Ducati single a few years back. This was about 10 years ago but company still trading according to google. One man operation, working from home workshop IIRC Happy to recommend, as he did a good job at a fair price.

I used Classic Brake Services in Whaley Bridge to reline the rear drum on a Ducati single a few years back. This was about 10 years ago but company still trading according to google. One man operation, working from home workshop IIRC Happy to recommend, as he did a good job at a fair price.

Thank you Vulpine2.

Back
Top Bottom