Rear subframe removed

CNC-REPAIRS.Co.UK

Reaction score
So although it's not to bad yet I've decided to get the rear subframe powdercoated. 3.5-4 hours later it's off. No real dramas.

Attachments

• IMG_7621.jpg
    IMG_7621.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_7620.jpg
    IMG_7620.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 719
rest of bike looking pretty clean. btw have you checked swingarm bearings? mine were toast

It looks pretty good, clean it up, spray with ACF 50, good as new, and you save yourself a few bob. :thumb2

Although it isn’t too bad it lets the bike down. So will get it powder coated along with side stand and centre stand. Swing arm bearings are immaculate I keep on top of bearings and drive shaft splines.
Whilst it’s a part would you grease the clutch splines??

Although it isn’t too bad it lets the bike down. So will get it powder coated along with side stand and centre stand. Swing arm bearings are immaculate I keep on top of bearings and drive shaft splines.
Whilst it’s a part would you grease the clutch splines??

How many miles on it? Mine has 64K and if I had it torn down like that I would probably replace the clutch while I was in there....

Are you on the original clutch?
Mines Just shy of 40k. It’s no drama to pop the gearbox off and have a look.

I believe I am still on the original clutch - haven't had the bike very long, but none of the service records mention a clutch replacement. It's definitely worth having a look while you have it so stripped down though.

Sorry to ask but have you taken the rear wheel and drive shaft off to remove sub frame?? after 34k miles I have just had the rear taken off, gearbox off to replace main shaft bearing seal !! and replaced clutch (Expensive) but i note the rear frame is looking a bit shabby so may strip to repaint.

yes having got that far not replacing at least the centre plate would be a big mistake.

never abused mine, always sought to be gentle with it and never an issue till the other day accelerating at 7k and it just lets go.... played about with the slave cylinder, bled the clutch but its just toast at only 29k miles - a shocking effort on BMWs behalf, I see the unit is different post 2006, I guess designed to fail over nothing !

and for those that think its me... I've never needed a clutch in any vehicle in 40 years of abusing Japanese bikes or any car

Back from paint keep me busy for a few hours. I've had the centre stand and side stand done as well very pleased with the results

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpg
    IMG_7668.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 487
I see you are fairly local to me, where did you get the powder coating done and would you recommend them?

yes having got that far not replacing at least the centre plate would be a big mistake.

never abused mine, always sought to be gentle with it and never an issue till the other day accelerating at 7k and it just lets go.... played about with the slave cylinder, bled the clutch but its just toast at only 29k miles - a shocking effort on BMWs behalf, I see the unit is different post 2006, I guess designed to fail over nothing !

and for those that think its me... I've never needed a clutch in any vehicle in 40 years of abusing Japanese bikes or any car

Accelerating at 7k is being gentle with it :eek:, when were you going to change gear?:nenau

if its fully warned up when the power drops off which is a hell of a lot higher than 7000.... early ones pull hard till 7600 easily and hit a read line at 7800 and rev limiter not much after that...

if you think going to 7000 is riding it hard why not buy an old 650 ?

I'd like to think I'm gentle with my clutch though I do ride it hard from time to time. Not a lot of slow town work to be honest.
Mine is in a tad under 106,000 miles now and still works fine. I'm hoping it'll do a few more years yet but am expecting it to need replacing at some point.
2006 GSA.

So I’ve decided not to change the clutch as I didn’t have any issues with it. I’ve done a visual inspection and measured between the pressure plate and the flywheel and it’s 5.80mm. Minimum is 4.5 new is 6mm. As I’m now know how to get to the clutch it doesn’t really worry me in the future should I need too.
Spent a couple of hours yesterday reassembling. Hopefully spend a few more hours on it today and break the back of it!

ca323a4f2490d3ac7870fed3d48354f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to think I'm gentle with my clutch though I do ride it hard from time to time. Not a lot of slow town work to be honest.
Mine is in a tad under 106,000 miles now and still works fine. I'm hoping it'll do a few more years yet but am expecting it to need replacing at some point.
2006 GSA.

I FULLY expected over 100k, I'm and ex RR tech I know exactly what's involved and used the clutch delicately with that in mind all its life... and it repays me but giving up at 29 K f***ing sh*t heap

if its fully warned up when the power drops off which is a hell of a lot higher than 7000.... early ones pull hard till 7600 easily and hit a read line at 7800 and rev limiter not much after that...

if you think going to 7000 is riding it hard why not buy an old 650 ?

Why would I want to change my bike? You're the one with the burnt out clutch.

Back
Top Bottom