R80 GSPD won't run- Carb issue

flytoolow

Reaction score
Hi All.

Does anyone have a "cock-sure" :doris procedure to get a set of 32mm Bings operational?

Ive cleaned the carbs and the bike ran about 3 weeks ago with clean fuel - although not synched it did run and roughly idle

Now it fires for about 5 seconds with copious amounts of ether (AKA "Start ya B*st*rd") and full choke. Then it fires to about 4K rpm but promptly dies

When I used to play with 2 stroke model engines there was a procedure that said to blow into the carb, with a new fuel hose attached, and close the needle until you couldn't blow anymore, then open up the needle 2 full turns...always worked..

Does anyone have anything similar for a set of Bing 32's at all ? I just need to get the bike running, get it on a trailer and get it moved into a garage in france...anyone ???:nenau

Thanks

F2L

Check for inline fuel filter. I’d be surprised if both carbs were having the same problem together unless someone done the same wrong thing to them. Check if there is fuel in float bowls after the bike cuts out. While the float bowls are off check for fuel flowing. JJH

Check fuel is flowing freely from the tank, then look at float heights, and in the float bowl there is a ‘pipe’ that sticks up and feeds the slow running side of things - make sure that is clean, check the carb diaframs, if none of that works either do a complete clean on the carbs of get them cleaned professionally perhaps with new O rings and gaskets, if it still won’t run check rocker clearances, then electrics..good luck..ian

BMW Club SW Section Technical Bulletin No. 3 on Bings

If all else fails try and get hold of the above

Written by Mike Fishwick, an authority on airheads, and published in 1998. It runs to 15 pages and covers Bings in detail.

If you can't get hold of a copy let me know and I'll send you a scanned copy

I think it's significant that it appears not to be running on eithercylinder, so the problem could well be something shared, such as fuel flow as suggested above.

The nice thing about Bings is how easily you can whip the float bowls off to have a squizz.

If there is fuel in the bowls and no obvious blockages, then I'd look at the diaphragms - they're quite sensitive to damaged diaphragms.

Good luck.

If the filters, either in line or in tank are suspected of being part blocked - try taking the fuel line off just above the carb and blowing hard up it! *
If the Bike then starts and runs you'll know that was the problem and can strip the filters to clean them properly. :thumb2

* obviously do it carefully or you'll get fuel everywhere - including in yer gob. :barf
... or you'll have forgotten to turn the fuel tap on and just get red faced and breathless.
DAMHIK :blast
Good luck.

What vintage R80, is it a G/S - single fuel tap or a GS - twin fuel taps. If the latter with both taps open it seems unlikely that there is no flow to the carbs. I think the bike would at least fire if the diaphrams were perished but, again, it’s unlikely that both carbs would have the same issue. If there is fuel in the float bowls and it’s not even coughing when cranked then, I think you you’ve got an electrical problem.

Modern E5 fuels in old carbs = a recipe for blockage problems when bikes are left standing without fuel stabiliser.

Probably best to drain the system, clean out the tank with vinegar, check for corrosion in there, check the filters/lines & give the carbs an overhaul along with an ultrasonic clean. PITA I know, but if you manage to get the bike going without addressing the issue fully, I suspect the problem will return to haunt you later on.

I would do a few simple tests to actually see if it’s a fuel problem before getting stuck in. JJH

Drop the bowls and turn on the fuel tap, if petrol runs freely out of both carbs it is not a flow problem.
Like every other filter fuel filters are a service item and will only cause problems if you are to dumb to replace them at service time, and they only block up when they are doing the job they are intended to do.
Then replace the bowls and turn the taps on to fill the bowls, then off again, and carefully remove the bowls and check the level of the fuel in them, it should be around 1/2" down from the top, but 1/16" or so either way will not cause your problem.
Mike's carb article is about the only place you will find decent information on Bings, so read the lot carefully and make certain the passages few seem to know about are clear, and everything is assembled correctly.
And, of course, remove , drain and flush the tank and fill it with fresh new gas.
With the crap Ozzie gas I change diaphragms at 40,000 km as a service item , I bought a fair few from the SU carb people when they were selling them cheaper than Bing.

Its all pointing to fuel starvation then ?

OK,

Thanks guys. So it's all pointing to fuel starvation then.

Just to allay some of your concerns (The bike is 750Km's away stored under my balcony in Switzerland in a house that is being shutdown with no internet - I get to tamper with it one day a month with the objective of getting it moved, on a trailer and getting it somewhere more accessible)

1 ) Fuel taps were ON/UP.
2) No fuel filter ( Ill get that sorted).
3) Fuel was fresh about 2 weeks before ( I can drain & replenish)
4) Carbs were taken off / cleaned & new seals about 12 months ago - and it has ran since..
5) Interestingly I have replaced the last 3" of fuel pipe after taking off the tank to replace the starter motor (another thread on here). The old stuff was hard & brittle and leaking at the nipples so I replaced it with some that I found in the garage.:augie

The image that Im getting from you all is that Bigs are pretty damn simple & straightforward and as long as I have fuel I should get "some" response - at least enough to get it on a trailer under duress.:nenau

I think Ill start with the fuel pipe issue. Ive got to get an order from Motorworks anyways...

Wish me luck

I don’t agree that’s it all pointing to fuel starvation. Do the simple checks first. If the pipe you found in the garage and used isn’t suitable for use with petrol it might have deteriorated inside. Reading what you have said so far I’d check fuel flow first. Take it from there. JJH

If the bike had broken down at the side of the road the first checks you would do are to take the float bowl off, turn on the petrol, if fuel runs, put the float bowls back on, then take the plug leads off put a spark plug in and check for a regular bright spark. These are good basic diagnostic tests, and could point you in the right direction, if you want to just check for a spark eBay item
174075120638 will do the job, if you want to check the strength of the spark ( power of the HT circuit) then ebay 223044750977 will do that, you can get both types of amazon with next day delivery just search spark tester, or if you live near Liverpool I can lend you mine, or just to meet the scouser stereo type we can go to Halfords and I will shoplift one for you. :)...Ian

OK,

Thanks guys. So it's all pointing to fuel starvation then.

Just to allay some of your concerns (The bike is 750Km's away stored under my balcony in Switzerland in a house that is being shutdown with no internet - I get to tamper with it one day a month with the objective of getting it moved, on a trailer and getting it somewhere more accessible)

2) No fuel filter ( Ill get that sorted).
3) Fuel was fresh about 2 weeks before ( I can drain & replenish)
4) Carbs were taken off / cleaned & new seals about 12 months ago - and it has ran since..
5) Interestingly I have replaced the last 3" of fuel pipe after taking off the tank to replace the starter motor (another thread on here). The old stuff was hard & brittle and leaking at the nipples so I replaced it with some that I found in the garage.:augie

The image that Im getting from you all is that Bigs are pretty damn simple & straightforward and as long as I have fuel I should get "some" response - at least enough to get it on a trailer under duress.:nenau

I think Ill start with the fuel pipe issue. Ive got to get an order from Motorworks anyways...

Wish me luck

FFS answer the question that has been asked by several people. Is there fuel reaching the carb float bowls ?.

Answering a simple yes or no and it'll save us all a lot of time and then we can take it from there. .

How much fuel have you got in the petrol tank?

Me, me, me, my turn, can I ask??? Can I ????

Do you have any fuel reaching the float bowls?

Back
Top Bottom