Another rear wheel collapse..

German Behr spoked wheels on 1100/1150/early aircooled 1200's seem to be much stronger

Discuss

:D

So do I.

cohTVyi.jpg

Your bike looks so much better than Warlords. His grey wheels look shite. ;)

I keep saying it because BMW spoked wheels over the past 3 years have had catastrophic failures and BMW won't accept liability.

So.... if you like your bike and do a lot of road miles, switch wheel types.

It only cost me £450 to do it. The alloy wheel-sets come up on ebay often. It's not a huge expense, especially for extra piece of mind.

I think they look great :thumb2

You pay £18,000 or so on a motorbike and then have to go to ebay and buy a set of wheels so as to be able to use it. Brilliant value.

You pay £18,000 or so on a motorbike and then have to go to ebay and buy a set of wheels so as to be able to use it. Brilliant value.

Crazy, isn’t it. Quite why you can’t spec alloy wheels from the factory is a mystery, especially when most bikes are built to order.

I have a life time of metal bashing , repairing etc . Alloy ----steel etc etc .
If there was something wrong with the caliper mounting ie just not strong enough , logic would dictate that it would fail when under load . The main load would be under very hard / harsh braking , none of the failures of the rear wheel that I have read about have been during the said hard breaking .
Something suspect about the wheel design/ loading pattern .

Said overloading in progress :D:D (hex head though ,,last of the "proper" bikes :D)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 614
Given the experience of the wheel builder is in the millions across multi 2 wheel platforms and it seems to only affect this particular wheel set it has to be more than just poor assembly given the number of wheels with loose spokes and the fact they continue to come loose on new bikes after the issue is known to bmw.

Last time mine was in for a service I heard them telling a 1250 owner at his first service that he had to have a loaner whilst they sourced a new wheel due to loose spokes. Something like the spokes are stretching or the spoke heads are regressing into the rim etc.

Crazy, isn’t it. Quite why you can’t spec alloy wheels from the factory is a mystery, especially when most bikes are built to order.

My Exclusive came with Alloys, but ive seen other identical bikes with spoked wheels. I dont know how you pick one or the other, i certainly was never asked what i wanted, the bike just came with alloys.

Given the experience of the wheel builder is in the millions across multi 2 wheel platforms and it seems to only affect this particular wheel set it has to be more than just poor assembly given the number of wheels with loose spokes and the fact they continue to come loose on new bikes after the issue is known to bmw.

Last time mine was in for a service I heard them telling a 1250 owner at his first service that he had to have a loaner whilst they sourced a new wheel due to loose spokes. Something like the spokes are stretching or the spoke heads are regressing into the rim etc.
If this is true that's shameful, the point is if the customer is getting it fixed under warranty he is happy and it's getting swept under the carpet , BMW will know how many wheels they are selling.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My Exclusive came with Alloys, but ive seen other identical bikes with spoked wheels. I dont know how you pick one or the other, i certainly was never asked what i wanted, the bike just came with alloys.

That’s the thing, you can spec spokes at the point of order, but not the other way round.

When I got my 1250, I was offered spokes or alloys and had a colour choice of rim for spokes as black or gold . On the Bmw build a bike webpage it gives you the option too I believe

I was asked if i wanted spokes or alloys when i ordered my exclusive..... i chose alloys as they are lighter, easier to clean (and I’d read of the loose spokes problems on here).
I’m not taking my bike off road, other than campsites etc, so no need for spoked wheels for me, and i like the look of the GS exclusive with alloys.

Ride safe (and check your spokes, folks!)

Bubb

I have a life time of metal bashing , repairing etc . Alloy ----steel etc etc .
If there was something wrong with the caliper mounting ie just not strong enough , logic would dictate that it would fail when under load . The main load would be under very hard / harsh braking , none of the failures of the rear wheel that I have read about have been during the said hard breaking .
Something suspect about the wheel design/ loading pattern .

Said overloading in progress :D:D (hex head though ,,last of the "proper" bikes :D)

Said bike has double ABR stickers, so well balanced:D

You can ask - they will swap them FOC for you - they keep the spoke wheels and sell for a profit! My mate has a Rallye with alloys

That’s a dealer thing. But you can’t factory order a GSA with cast wheels.

The fact the spokes are now locked by a grub screw tells you that the angle of the spoke is an issue maintaining tension wise.
R100gs which used tubeless rims has grub screws as did the oil head as did the hexhead as does the LC.

Only later LC's therefore the issue is not the concept it is the choice of materials or build quality or both.
Incidentally my 1200 lc gsa has done 40k with substantial off-road use... no issues with loose spokes.....

R100gs which used tubeless rims has grub screws as did the oil head as did the hexhead as does the LC.

Only later LC's therefore the issue is not the concept it is the choice of materials or build quality or both.
Incidentally my 1200 lc gsa has done 40k with substantial off-road use... no issues with loose spokes.....

Indeed but regardless of the year the need for a grub screw tells you that inherent in the design is a tendency towards loose spokes otherwise they wouldn't be needed. The new factor is why the spokes are not now staying tight despite the grub screw. We’re it a build process issue during manufacture you would think that would have been sorted long ago.

I keep saying it because BMW spoked wheels over the past 3 years have had catastrophic failures and BMW won't accept liability.

So.... if you like your bike and do a lot of road miles, switch wheel types.

It only cost me £450 to do it. The alloy wheel-sets come up on ebay often. It's not a huge expense, especially for extra piece of mind.

I think they look great :thumb2

What about gold...

Back
Top Bottom