Four button cradle wiring to non-BMW bike - Inc. the two sockets

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
I've bought a Navigator 6 with 4-button cradle and could do with some advice on how to wire the mount up to the battery. I am guessing the relevant cables are the black and red in the left-side connector in the photo. Could anyone confirm this?

One option would be to chop off the connector and hard wire it, but then that rather screws up someone if I resell it later. So in an ideal world I've like to wire up a corresponding connector, so it can be plugged and unplugged. Does anyone know what the relevant connector would be?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8210.jpg
    IMG_8210.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 7,629
  • IMG_8211.jpg
    IMG_8211.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 4,943
Tim

I bought a couple of connectors with tail wires from my dealer.
They were eye wateringly expensive (£10 each IIRC), and I suspect could have been had a lot cheaper from a motor factors, but there you go.
I can post a picture when I get home tomorrow if that would help...

Tim

I bought a couple of connectors with tail wires from my dealer.
They were eye wateringly expensive (£10 each IIRC), and I suspect could have been had a lot cheaper from a motor factors, but there you go.
I can post a picture when I get home tomorrow if that would help...

Ironically BMW motor car dealer will sell you same wire (they call it repair wire) for around £5-£6

If I remember correctly you only need to use wires labeled 1 and 3. 2 will need blanking off as it is used for BMW vehicles only.

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4,126
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 4,646
Wow, that was quick responses, thanks guys!

I don't mean to be awkward but
83 30 0 413 586 looks to be a different sized/colour connector? I've also come across references to

83 30 0 413 585 and
80 00 0 611 656 both of which look more like my connector?

Wow, that was quick responses, thanks guys!

I don't mean to be awkward but
83 30 0 413 586 looks to be a different sized/colour connector? I've also come across references to

83 30 0 413 585 and
80 00 0 611 656 both of which look more like my connector?

......586 is the correct connector, (male) that will go inside white (female) connector on your cradle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......586 is the correct connector, (male) that will go inside white (female) connector on your cradle. I’ve made that mistake myself.

BMW cars sell the same lead for £4-5.

I was told at the time of my purchase of the lead (post #3) that if I was to know an original Bmw part number for let say brake pads, then chances are I could order these too, with a potential 50% saving compared to what BMW Motorrad and BMW vehicle devision charge for same accessories plug lead.

It has for as long as I remember been as cheap if not in most cases cheaper to buy BMW Motorrad parts from a BMW car dealer if you have the part number (they can get access to the bike parts numbers easily enough online).
in 2011 I went online and got the part nos for hand guard extensions for my then brand new r1200gsa .
Priced them at a BMW Motorrad dealer and also at the parts department of my local BMW solus car dealer.
From the car dealer they were just less than 3/4 of the price .
Similarly when buying VAG parts it is often cheaper to buy Audi parts form a Skoda dealer , identical parts but a Skoda rather than Audi part number prefix

There are two connectors at the end of the Navigator cradle wiring harness - see TC’s pics in posting #1 above. One plugs into the bike’s wiring harness, but what is the other one for (the one with the black blanking plug)?

For the wonder wheel on the left hand bar.

For the wonder wheel on the left hand bar.

On my bike (R1250GS) it’s not connected to anything, and the wonder wheel does control the Nav 6, so I don’t think that can be what it’s for. Mine also has a blanking plug in it, just like the one in the pics in post #1 above, which suggests to me it’s not intended to be plugged into anything on my bike at least. But it must be there for a reason.

Complete guess, but could it be for bikes like the RT with a built in audio system?

Nav 6 cradle wiring to non-BMW bike

There are two connectors at the end of the Navigator cradle wiring harness - see TC’s pics in posting #1 above. One plugs into the bike’s wiring harness, but what is the other one for (the one with the black blanking plug)?

8cdb5d102982f0a1fb89431720cc5291.png

Back
Top Bottom