Corrosion ‘restoration’

Dan79

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening chaps, does anyone know of a company or individual that could dismantle my bike and sort out the rusty bits? I haven’t the time, expertise or space to strip it down. It’s fine apart from the corrosion and I don’t really want to part with it, but it’s beginning to look quite manky, especially on the engine casing. I know I could have looked after it better, used ACF 50 more regularly, not ridden in winter etc, it’s a bit late for that now though. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks, I’ve attached a few pics of the worst of it, it’s mainly on the engine casing But there’s a little bit here and there on the frame.

Attachments

• FCC6AD30-D07F-4E3B-969A-5D8D57DFE616.jpeg
    FCC6AD30-D07F-4E3B-969A-5D8D57DFE616.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 817
  • 00FB10AC-B6E7-45CB-B799-CBA77D080A74.jpeg
    00FB10AC-B6E7-45CB-B799-CBA77D080A74.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 829
  • 54E80C06-BD9D-4BB6-9733-E068F358DBFA.jpeg
    54E80C06-BD9D-4BB6-9733-E068F358DBFA.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 832
Another vote for Mikeyboy.

Alternatively do it yourself and learn loads about you bike. But budget for lots of time and cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just so you realise.... there isn't really a patch repair for this sort of thing if your going to pay someone to do it.

It's likely a complete strip down, blast the old paint off completely repaint the whole engine (and gearbox?) Reassemble. That's not going to be a £500 quid touch up.

Just so you realise.... there isn't really a patch repair for this sort of thing if your going to pay someone to do it.

It's likely a complete strip down, blast the old paint off completely repaint the whole engine (and gearbox?) Reassemble. That's not going to be a £500 quid touch up.

I don't agree with this.

I bought some Granite Grey alloy wheels off eBay a while back, which had been ridden through Winter and paint was cracked and flaking.

I bought some repair paint for £4.50 and did spot repairs myself.

At the end of the day, most of the paintwork will be good. The edges will need rubbing down and repainting but it will look loads better than bubbling cracked surface. Give it a go, and nothing to lose

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...lloy-Wheels-Pics/page3?highlight=granite grey

Just to add....

It's a motorbike, not restoring the Mona Lisa....

The subtlety you missed you Steve is in the paying someone. Just because you can doesn't mean someone will. With patches of corrosion unless you can be sure you got it all and you can get a good colour match... it can look shite and fail again quickly.
I patch repaired my 1150... but if it didn't work I only had myself to blame and it only cost me the price of the paint and electricity for the dremmel. Also the 1150 won't be doing 10k a year all year anymore.

if you are paying someone to do it for you, then reputation, time and lots of prep is required, hence it will take many hours so will not be cheap.

If if was me i would invest in a small dremel and tackle one area at a time. Obtain a correct colour match, etch primer if appropriate.

appreciate you do not want to do it but i think you are looking at a several grand which you will not re-cuperate,

option 1, leave it alone - the bike will not fall apart. you state you want to keep it.
option 2, have ago at one area at a time your self and touch up
option 3, professional job - spend 3k

My engine colour is black - if any corrosion does appear then i will rub down with wet & dry, etch prime and use black spray hammerrite, for difficult areas then i may even use a small artists brush. So far no corrosion, but then i do not use in winter and use a bike vac, and lots gt85

The subtlety you missed you Steve is in the paying someone. Just because you can doesn't mean someone will. With patches of corrosion unless you can be sure you got it all and you can get a good colour match... it can look shite and fail again quickly.
I patch repaired my 1150... but if it didn't work I only had myself to blame and it only cost me the price of the paint and electricity for the dremmel. Also the 1150 won't be doing 10k a year all year anymore.

Ok fair comment.

I suppose it's setting the right expectations really. If it's all left in situ, don't expect repairs to look like new, unless you pay the hours it takes to strip it all down.

I'd just leave that and carry on riding it... not worth the cost of a strip down and re-paint IMO

. If it's all left in situ, don't expect repairs to look like new, unless you pay the hours it takes to strip it all down.

And that's the problem, it then becomes very subjective.
A tear down full strip back, blast and full repaint removes risk of failure. As a business, a patch repair would be high risk for the value of the work. If you have a thriving business why would you risk having your name dragged through the mud because a customer expected too much.

I'd nip it in the bud with a dremmel. During summer a weekend would sort that. The sub frame is more of an involved strip down. That would be a clean strip, blast, repaint / powder coat, rebuild, so a garage might be willing to take that on.

Once corrosion has taken hold, it is very difficult to justify the cost of a proper repair. So I'm with Twizzle; maybe spray a bit of ACF50 around to stop things getting any worse over winter & carry on riding.

Yes, you will take a hit when it comes to selling, but if she is kept mechanically sound, there is usually a market for all-weather commuter bikes around these parts.

Evening chaps, does anyone know of a company or individual that could dismantle my bike and sort out the rusty bits? I haven’t the time, expertise or space to strip it down. It’s fine apart from the corrosion and I don’t really want to part with it, but it’s beginning to look quite manky, especially on the engine casing. I know I could have looked after it better, used ACF 50 more regularly, not ridden in winter etc, it’s a bit late for that now though. Thanks for any advice.
Are you lot blind?

Time = Find the fooking time. If it's important to you.

Expertise = We're telling you your options and how to do it.

Space = The final frontier, to go where no man has gone before.

If the OP isn't confident to do the job himself or has minimum facilities or tools then recommend someone to do it for him. it is the sensible thing to do .
If someone isn't confident or lacks the facilities to do the job it will inevitably end up in a total f*ck up with either the job ending up being half arsed, not last the test of time or damage being done during the strip down and needing professional help to put things right or it ending up sitting partially disassembled or sold as a project.

Are you lot blind?

+1

Just give the guy the advice he's politely asked for. It's a very expensive bike, rightly or wrongly I wouldn't touch it even if I had the space or the time.

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. I think on balance I’m just going to have to live with it, until I can chop it in for something a bit newer and shinier. 🙂

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. I think on balance I’m just going to have to live with it, until I can chop it in for something a bit newer and shinier. 🙂

Booo..... STONE HIM

Back
Top Bottom