2004 GS wouldn't start!

My 2005 has had issues with this potentiometer for as long as I've owned it (6yrs ish)
Always had to start with clutch pulled in, mostly wrong gear displayed and in the last couple of years no display at all.
It did get removed and cleaned at one point and worked for a few months but then failed again.
Just learned to live with it and forgot about it....til we were touring Ireland and some water got into the 3pin connecter and the bike ran like an absolute dog and was pretty much unrideable. Now bearing in mind this thing hasn't worked for years it wasn't on the radar to check and I went through every other bloody connector before I checked it.
Once dry and plugged back in(display still blank) bike was back to normal.
Anyway, it's packed with dielectric grease now and hopefully will behave itself.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Good to know. I have just left it, washed bike as normal, problem not reoccured! Did 150 miles today to Salisbury ( over 1000 since I bought 3 weeks ago oops, not a lot of work going on at the moment, hope wifey doesn't suss) no bum or shoulder ache, great around the slow, narrow, twisty, shitty, country lanes and quite happy at 70 on the motorway, screen down so I don,t get any buffeting ( came with touring screen before you say, not needed for my short distance riding). What a great bike, so easy to ride, realising that FJR was a hard, heavy lump to use...U turns are ridiculously easy in comparison... off to do another 150 miles tomorrow to Rye ;) hard life ain't it....the only PITA is the old style indicator set up and washing it, no point before long ride tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom