Heated Grip Problem help please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old buddy runs a 2012 but is having issues with his heated grips in that they don't always come on unless he stops, turns the ignition off / on and tries again.
Is there anyone with technical knowledge that might give us an idea where to start please.
Cheers for any help.
G

I think there was a software update for that around 2009/10. Sometimes the grips wouldn't turn on if the grip switch was already on when the ignition was switched on.

My initial reaction was to question the battery condition - possibly the ECU not allowing unnecessary consumers to be used after dipping to a low voltage at start up. However turning the ign off/on & restarting rather condemns this idea, unless he has given sufficient time for the charging system to restore battery voltage first.

I think there was a software update for that around 2009/10. Sometimes the grips wouldn't turn on if the grip switch was already on when the ignition was switched on.

This might be something as I think he has a tendency to leave them switched on. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will find we are talking about the exact same protection mechanism in both #2 & #3 above.

Get your buddy to check out the battery condition.

there are few pictures out there suggesting the wires fall off the heater and you can re do it

burtjoubert_hg.jpg

or older type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbchuZVFlno

Thanks all, we’ve checked battery each 24hr and 12.7v standing with charging 14.4v so battery ok. We’ll just have to watch if there is any other pattern that would give us a clue

Thanks all, we’ve checked battery each 24hr and 12.7v standing with charging 14.4v so battery ok. We’ll just have to watch if there is any other pattern that would give us a clue

Leave the meter on the battery terminals & see what happens to the voltage when you press the start button with a cold engine. Something is likely to be pulling the voltage down at start up. What is the CCA shown on the battery casing? Is the starter motor spinning the engine up easily/well, or struggling?

The bike fires up easily every time and is used all year round. It runs a heated jacket when needed but just has the weird grip thing.

Just a thought. Which position is the switch in? If you have it in position 1 they will switch on and off depending on ambient air temp taken by air temp sensor. In position 2 will be on all the time, no regulation. If they go off in position 2 then its a likely to be wiring fault as botus says.

Just a thought. Which position is the switch in? If you have it in position 1 they will switch on and off depending on ambient air temp taken by air temp sensor. In position 2 will be on all the time, no regulation. If they go off in position 2 then its a likely to be wiring fault as botus says.

Interesting, does it do this on all models 2012 onward. I've never noticed mine switching off on my 2018 model.

Back
Top Bottom