G/S Engine bars and rear wheel off set

monster-mash

Reaction score
Hi I have two questions here regarding my ongoing rebuild 1981 G/S

1, I bought some engine protection bars a while a go and the side stand appears to hit the exhaust down pipe when returning up to its stop position. Is this normal or should there be a stop stopping it further out? as i remember the bars were from a G/S but it could easily be a GS there are mountings for the oil cooler on the off side not sure if this is just GS or for both to have that option.
The collector box isn't properly fitted yet but positioning of the down pipe isn't that far out.

2, hopefully the easy one, whats the standard or preferred rear wheel off set when rebuilding the rear wheel, I have checked it before pulling spokes out and its not central as i thought it would be the rim is positioned more toward the drive side which would push the tyre closer to the rear shock. Before removing the rear tyre it was approx 5mm from the spring which i would have thought was to close?

thanks in advance for any good advise

If your bars have mountings for an oil cooler then they are from a R100 GS paralever.
I don’t know what the differences are. If you are in need of any G/S parts send me a pm . I’ve broken a very nice ST and many of the parts are the same. I haven’t advertised anything yet.

On my ST with a standard size tyre Conti Go 120/90H18 it runs *very* close to the spring (std BMW shock). Surprised me when I first assembled it after resoration.

No evidence of tyre touch. Always check whenever the wheel is off.

That's perhaps how it is then Dr nosh, it would be set up to be in line to the the front. Scooter paul is your collector box any good and if so how much do you want for it?

I’ll send you a pm. Actually I can’t for some reason. The collector box has already been reused. I have a seat (Black), subframe, all handlebar controls, crash bars(chrome), 3 piece pannier frames (chrome) R100r petrol tank and a really good front wheel (19”). I’ll get round to advertising them all soon.

I’ll send you a pm. Actually I can’t for some reason. The collector box has already been reused. I have a seat (Black), subframe, all handlebar controls, crash bars(chrome), 3 piece pannier frames (chrome) R100r petrol tank and a really good front wheel (19”). I’ll get round to advertising them all soon.

Paul

I know someone who maybe interested in the R100R tank and the seat.

Barny

Back
Top Bottom