R1250GS front brake callipers leaking

If seems to be a pretty common issue for what I've seen, should be repaired under warranty 100%

From what I’ve heard it’s the bikes that sit around (like on showroom floor) that leak and the ones that get exercised regularly tend not to.
That being said if you spit anything the dealer
Will swap it out no bother.

RedRick is correct. Mine was one of those from a dodgy batch. I never noticed any leaks and I'm fairly OCD. It was picked up on the first service and they were obviously looking out for it. It was all sorted and handled very efficiently and professionally.

My July 2019 1250 has required both front calipers to be replaced twice.

I took delivery promptly after it was built and in both cases BMW replaced them under warranty.

First time it was first spotted at the 600 mile service not allowing me to take it home again and after that getting a bit OCD about it I was dabbing blue garage paper under the bottom of the caliper (most obvious place it can be checked) and found the new ones leaking within a few weeks.

Bahnstormers were pretty good (and surprised) about having to replace them a second time. I didn't have the bike for while as sourcing the sexy gold calipers on the Rallye were in short supply so I got some compensation that paid for the first service+.

Disappointed my bike was affected after I thought they would have fixed the 'bad batch'? Sure, but I didn't get wrapped around the axle because of it and it was fixed under warranty. Stuff happens.

Still lovin' the bike.

My July 2019 1250 has required both front calipers to be replaced twice.

I took delivery promptly after it was built and in both cases BMW replaced them under warranty.

First time it was first spotted at the 600 mile service not allowing me to take it home again and after that getting a bit OCD about it I was dabbing blue garage paper under the bottom of the caliper (most obvious place it can be checked) and found the new ones leaking within a few weeks.

Bahnstormers were pretty good (and surprised) about having to replace them a second time. I didn't have the bike for while as sourcing the sexy gold calipers on the Rallye were in short supply so I got some compensation that paid for the first service+.

Disappointed my bike was affected after I thought they would have fixed the 'bad batch'? Sure, but I didn't get wrapped around the axle because of it and it was fixed under warranty. Stuff happens.

Still lovin' the bike.

great attitude that. problem arises, problem gets solved. nicely done Eunuch

Mine got held at the dealers on the PDI check.
Computer flagged it up on the chassis number and it locked it out until the calipers were replaced.
Fine except on the rear was in the UK.
The the rh was in germany HQ and took 3 days.
Then the lh had to come from manufacturing and took 3wks.
Still waiting for compensation due to the bike being over a month late, tax and insurance having been paid out on it as it had been registered before the cut off as part of the deal yet BMWFS still took their fucking money a month early regardless....
Official complaint in anyway with BMWUK and BMWDE over it as it should never have left the factory or distribution here in the UK, let alone making it to the PDI bench.

Computer flagged it up on the chassis number and it locked it out until the calipers were replaced.
Still waiting for compensation due to the bike being over a month late, tax and insurance having been paid out on it as it had been registered before the cut off as part of the deal yet BMWFS still took their fucking money a month early regardless....
Official complaint in anyway with BMWUK and BMWDE over it as it should never have left the factory or distribution here in the UK, let alone making it to the PDI bench.

Sorry to hear this and I hope you get it resolved.

May I ask what month your bike was manufactured?

Factory inspection and the UK PDI centre are far from perfect , my last r1200gsa which was a special factory order (basic with numerous options ) arrived in the UK and had gone through the system with options missing .

Took a while to sort (three 160 mile round trips to dealer and 3 days off work) and BMW couldn't have given a sh*t , factory blamed BMW UK , BMW UK blamed dealer for ticking options that were clearly shown in the literature and on the computer system as being available.

However ,any safety related issues especially known ones ie the calipers that slip through the cracks means someone really needs shot with sh*t

Of course they are dear

Now lets take your tablets and get you into bed

That's been the general thoughts though isn't it? That there's really not much in it and that the new ones actually have better initial bite?

To be fair, from what I've heard, BMW designed both versions and just got the companies to manufacture them to the supplied designs. So if that's true, really if they're not as good as the Brembos then it's down to BMW and not the manufacturer change.

That's been the general thoughts though isn't it? That there's really not much in it and that the new ones actually have better initial bite?

To be fair, from what I've heard, BMW designed both versions and just got the companies to manufacture them to the supplied designs. So if that's true, really if they're not as good as the Brembos then it's down to BMW and not the manufacturer change.

Far superior to Brembo's AFAIC

I have just heard from my supplying dealer that both of my callipers were replaced prior to delivery upon the instructions of BMW. Apparently my bike fell in the range of ones with possible issues. Mine was a July 19 build delivered in December 19.

Back
Top Bottom